Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Ran my engine oil down to three quarts!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Ran my engine oil down to three quarts!

In ran a compression test today and when I put every thing back together I forgot to put the dipstick back in. I ran the car and it did smoke but I thought that the smoke was burning off from the oil I had squirted into one of the cylinders during the compression test. While I was driving I was thinking that the oil should have burn off by now. I went to check the oil level and found that I had forgot to install the oil dip stick. I installed the oil dip stick and then I immediately filled the engine with fresh oil (PUT IN THREE QUARTS) all the way to the top "FULL" mark. I was wondering if you all think I did any damage to the engine? I had maybe three quarts left in the motor.
BTW, I was doing some WOT blast during this time thinking I was burning off the oil I had squirted into the engine. PLEASE HELP A FELLA OUT and let me know what you think.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as you held pressure I don't think you did any harm. lots of cars get low on oil.. it's when you run out, or the pressure drops that you have problems.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

no low oil light came on?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better to have too little oil than too much oil. Like they said, as long as you didn't lose pressure you should be cool.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Teching In

No oil light thank god! Just oil all over the bottom of my car now. Thanks for the fast replys guys. I think I feel a little better.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

did you notice your oil psi gauge going down? thats one thing you'll never do again
Old 12-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Better to have too little oil than too much oil. Like they said, as long as you didn't lose pressure you should be cool.
Why's that?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Tell that to the guys who have spun bearings due to low oil level. I added 4qts to fill mine during my particular spun bearing incident. Another time previous there wasn't a drop of oil on my dipstick.. cautiously drove it to autozone and asked someone else to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I don't recall how low I was that time, but no repercussions.

If you add too much oil the crank and rods can whip the oil into a foam. However, there are pictures floating around on where the oil level is on a removed pan with 5, 5.5, 6 & 7 quarts. The 7 quarts just barely reaches the indentation in the upper section of the pan.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

As long as you have oil pressure at all times it really doesn't matter how low on oil you are. The oil pickup tube rests about 3/8" from the bottom of the oil pan. You could only have 1 quart of oil in the pan and the pickup tube would still be submerged. Then count in about a quart of oil in the galleys and other areas areas of the engine and your engine would run fine with only two quarts of oil in it. Now I wouldn't drive it like this though... just proving my point that the engine will be safe if it happens to run a little low on oil.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ****
No oil light thank god! Just oil all over the bottom of my car now. Thanks for the fast replys guys. I think I feel a little better.

You could be empty and it wouldn't. It only comes on when you start the car, not if you lose oil while driving. And such is the benefit of having read my manual cover-cover one day at work b/c I was so bored, lol.

If you did not lose pressure you are just fine.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
You could be empty and it wouldn't. It only comes on when you start the car, not if you lose oil while driving. And such is the benefit of having read my manual cover-cover one day at work b/c I was so bored, lol.

If you did not lose pressure you are just fine.
Not sure if it's different, but I have had my low oil light come on while on a trip after driving for 2 hours straight, and a few other times.....

the other thing.....if his pressure dropped should a "check gauges" or something come on? that light that comes on when you're low on gas...
Old 12-31-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

My dad told me about a lady that tried to change her own oil , she brought the car up to his shop cause it wasnt running right ,he checked it out and found she had filled the engine all the way up to the cap with oil haha. Least she didnt leave any out .
Old 01-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replys guy's. I started up the car this morning(engine cold) and didnt hear any knocking or anything so I think I'm OK.
Happy New Year!

Quick Reply: HELP! Ran my engine oil down to three quarts!