Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem!: Idler Pulley assembly!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem!: Idler Pulley assembly!

Okay guys I was having some problems with some squeeking on my 99 coupe (a4, with 82k miles). I read up on here to change belt, belt tensioner, and idler pulley. I did that. When I went to take the Idler pulley off i realized it was kind of loose, still nonetheless I took it off and put the new one back on. I noticed i couldnt tight'n the tensioner pulley 'tight' because it began to start spinning. It was on there pretty tight, everything was fine drove off for a little while with buddies.

We come back the car is squeeling like a mother. We open the hood the belt came off and the bolt for the idler pulley had came off as well. We couldnt find the bolt and attributed it that it came off during the drive back to the house.

We inspect the pulley, looks fine and notice the bearing that the pulley rests on is broken in 3 pieces on the ground. I am not sure what exactly to do, my friends dad jimmy rigged it together to get it back to the house. Hes telling me I need to take out the entire radiator and pull out the mount that the bolt goes into and replace it. Im not exactly sure what i need to do, help me out guys because I am lost at the moment.

http://www.geocities.com/joescite/diagram.jpg

I have made a diagram showing what the idler pulley and assembly looks like. Can I get another Bearing and bolt from GM without having to buy the entire assembly.

Note! this is not the bearing that is made into the pulley, it is what I assume that pulley rests on.

Thanks guys
Old 01-01-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I would just get a new pulley and bolt. (numbers 2 and 3 in the diagram attached). I think that would solve the problem.

Last edited by Grimes; 01-01-2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

If you broke the actual bracket, I think it's the alternator bracket - #1 in this image.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the bearing that is on the actual part of the engine..? btw this is on a ls1 corvette, not sure how much it would differ.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

oh, i don't know for sure then. i dont think that is a bearing there, just a place for the pulley's bearing to be seated

Quick Reply: Problem!: Idler Pulley assembly!