Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Head Gasket Question

First off, what's the factory thickness of a Gen III motor head gasket. 2nd, now I know a slight overage on the bore size of the head gasket is no issue, but what about .2 difference. I don't think it would cause an issue but thought I would check seeing as I have never went this big on any other engine I've built. My 4.8 sitting in my garage if I use it needs new head gaskets for the turbo setup I would do, I have found some .060 thickness gaskets (cometic MLS) that would help drop compression a little more. It will currently be at 8.8:1 with the 241 heads according to my compression calculator. Any help would be great, just don't want to buy them and blow them out under boost. It will have head studs too (Don't ask me why I'm using a 4.8, it's sitting here, no one wants it and it would be nice in my 98' Z71 with a single turbo)
Old 01-01-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

graphite = .054 - .055
mls = .058
.2 bigger wont hurt, but dont go smaller
Old 01-01-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I knew that lol, just wanted to make sure that's what I thought, thanks man. trying to get the compression ratio down close to 8.4:1 without having to buy different heads lol. Trying to keep this budget minded sorta lol. When it goes, bore the block out and build an iron 5.7 or something out of it. I know of guys that stacked headgaskets before without problems, anyone suggest against it lol, on a boosted engine? Figure with head studs should sitll hold, maybe, maybe not, opinions?