Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/cam blower or Heads/cam N20 or Heads/cam/bore/stroker ......decisions....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads/cam blower or Heads/cam N20 or Heads/cam/bore/stroker ......decisions....

I can't decide on the route I want to take on this one. I enjoy having extra oomph driving around town so a turbo charger is not what I'm looking for...

I'd really like a daily drivable rediculously fast car for occasional track use...(wouldn't we all) that passes emissions too....I'd like to have trap speeds of 130+

My car is ready to go to handle all the power as I have a 12bolt 33spline posi, carbon fiber driveshaft, rear suspension, and a McLeod clutch setup....

I was thinking for sure a solid stage 2/3 heads cam setup using a B1 cam to aid in emissions to start off....but that's the only thing I'm sure about....

If I get a stroker different heads and cam will be more appropriate than the ones I would get with stock displacement, so before I get heads and cam I need to decide if I would like to use a stroker or not....

I had a blower on my old Camaro and it was very streetable and I loved it.

If I did a blower w/ heads and cam I'd be afraid of my engine with stock internals taking a dump...so I'd even consider a stroker kit and better bearings..but now we are talking big time $$$$$$

Using Nitrous instead of a blower (with stock displacement) wouldn't give me the pleasure of extra daily driving fun, but it would probably allow my engine to last longer, assuming I don't use too big of a shot....I was thinking a 150 shot on top of heads/cam would be plenty...hoping that my tranny and bearings hold up....

Last option is the bore/stroke kit, which is really pricey from what it seems....but I think having forged internals it would be stupid not to run spray or a blower along with this combo....so I was thinking that a blower on top of all this is a little too much low end torque, and a lot of $$$ since I would have just spent a fortune on the engine, and was thinking a solid 150-200 shot of spray would work very well. But the one question is can my tranny hold it??? I don't want to have an automatic ever again...

Any input would be appreciated guys!!!

[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: verbs ]</p>
Old 02-28-2002, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Heads/cam blower or Heads/cam N20 or Heads/cam/bore/stroker ......decisions....

I'd go with a big bore motor, S3 heads and a medium cam (medium based upon the cubes). You'll have lots of power on the street and a wide torque band for good drivability, excellent reliability, pass emissions and the cost isn't that bad compared with a blower or a turbo.

Unless you drive with ET Streets, the big bore will give you all the oomph you can use around town.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Heads/cam blower or Heads/cam N20 or Heads/cam/bore/stroker ......decisions....

[quote]Originally posted by Ragtop 99:
<strong>I'd go with a big bore motor, S3 heads and a medium cam (medium based upon the cubes). You'll have lots of power on the street and a wide torque band for good drivability, excellent reliability, pass emissions and the cost isn't that bad compared with a blower or a turbo.

Unless you drive with ET Streets, the big bore will give you all the oomph you can use around town.</strong><hr></blockquote>When you say big bore I'm assuming you mean a 382 all bore....

I really would like to trap in the 130+mph range and I might need a little more than that....maybe adding Nitrous onto that, or a blower with mild boost....
Old 02-28-2002, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

[quote]Originally posted by Ragtop 99:
<strong>I'd go with a big bore motor, S3 heads and a medium cam (medium based upon the cubes). You'll have lots of power on the street and a wide torque band for good drivability, excellent reliability, pass emissions and the cost isn't that bad compared with a blower or a turbo.

Unless you drive with ET Streets, the big bore will give you all the oomph you can use around town.</strong><hr></blockquote>Dido.I would go with the big bore.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

ditto, big bore...
Old 03-01-2002, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]Originally posted by verbs:
<strong>When you say big bore I'm assuming you mean a 382 all bore....

I really would like to trap in the 130+mph range and I might need a little more than that....maybe adding Nitrous onto that, or a blower with mild boost....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, 382 or thereabouts. ARE offers big bore with Nitrous pistons. It would trap low to mid 120s NA full weight depending upon the cam, weather, gears etc. Throw a 150 shot on at the track and 130s will come up.