Sponsored by:

cams

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 08:44 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cams

I know running a solid cam is putting a big hurt on the valvetrain. What about Xtreme cams and Xtreme 4x4? Anyone running those? How are they on valvetrain? Power wise how does the Xtreme compare to the regular lobes they offer? Are they that much better then comp cams regular lobes? What about other places and their lobes?

[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: Dom ]</p>
Old 03-02-2002, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: cams

What is a big hurt? Do you mean excessive noise?
I have run Extreme lobes on old style Chevys, and used them as daily driver, with no problems, they are much noisier than stock but worth it. I even used 1.65 ratio rockers on the extreme lobes which they did not reccommend, and cam made good power.
Old 03-02-2002, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]Originally posted by Dom:
<strong>I know running a solid cam is putting a big hurt on the valvetrain. What about Xtreme cams and Xtreme 4x4? Anyone running those? How are they on valvetrain? Power wise how does the Xtreme compare to the regular lobes they offer? Are they that much better then comp cams regular lobes? What about other places and their lobes?

[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: Dom ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Xtreme lobes will be harder on the valvetrain. That's why you will need to replace the pushrods and valvesprings. You'll be fine if you do that. I think the main benefit of the Xtreme lobes vs. the regular lobes is the amount of "area under the curve." You can get a cam with more duration at .050" but with the same or even less overall duration. This helps increase power (more duration at .050") and helps clean up the emissions and steady the idle because of the decrease in overlap.
Old 03-02-2002, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]Originally posted by Dom:
<strong>I know running a solid cam is putting a big hurt on the valvetrain. What about Xtreme cams and Xtreme 4x4? Anyone running those? How are they on valvetrain? Power wise how does the Xtreme compare to the regular lobes they offer? Are they that much better then comp cams regular lobes? What about other places and their lobes?

[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: Dom ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Xtreme lobes will be harder on the valvetrain. That's why you will need to replace the pushrods and valvesprings. You'll be fine if you do that. I think the main benefit of the Xtreme lobes vs. the regular lobes is the amount of "area under the curve." You can get a cam with more duration at .050" but with the same or even less overall duration. This helps increase power (more duration at .050") and helps clean up the emissions and steady the idle because of the decrease in overlap.