Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam selection advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toasty
If I can still hit 400whp, then I'll probably be fine with it. Like I said, anything that peaks over 6500 isn't really useful to me. I'd prefer 6400 peak on the Torquer, I think.
Since everyone is so gung ho about horsepower, low end and all that heres my story. I ran an X3 on a 112, peaked and 6300 and I shifted @ 6800. With simple bolt ons(headers, true duals, and a lid) a tune and some DR's I ran a 12.3 @ 117.55 in 21xx DA. Put down 411rwhp and 372tq. Table top torque curve.

The cam makes power and is a proven performer.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RAACCR
Comp XER 224/228 110 +2 would close the intake valve at 40 ABDC and be very stong througout the rpm range, but should be shifted by 6500rpm.

Comp XER 228/232 110 +2 would close at 42 ABDC and pull higher & stronger at the top end, without giving up too much down low. Probably a pretty good compromise, especially for a later model shortblock that can rev a little higher (better rod bolts and oiling compared to early LS1 motors).

If you want the ultimate top end monster, call any of the popular supporting vendors and ask 'em for the biggest bumpstick they've got that will fit under stock heads without fly cutting.

the closer you are at 40* ABDC the lower your DCR is to make more torque

the closer you are to 45* ABDC your DCR is higher to make more top end power...

I like low end tq..
Old 01-11-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by xxtheonlyxx
I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. After talking to Pradator-Z we came up with a few numbers that helped out a lot. If you are looking for a "universal cam" go with the 224/228 114 XER comp cam (although in my opinion the Patrick G cam mentioned above is much better!!). I say universal because you rarely hear someone saying its too big. Plus you will not have to worry about the cars street manners as much. If you drive a car with a bigger cam at times it will try to jump forward on you (buck/surge). It kind of feels like someone tapped your gas pedal unexpectedly and gave you a quick jolt slightly forward/ backward. You also have to take vibration and noise into account when you pick your cam. I have sat in bigger cammed cars that will shake the change out of your pocket. .

If it helps I went with a custom grind 228/232 .588/.595 110+1 HR lobed (basically XER) comp cam. It got me 420rwhp 371rwtq on motor through an A4. The cam is a little harder on streetability, but most people that drive my car dont notice once the car warms up. It does vibrate more than it use to, and I cant hear my radio, but I got use to it. The only problem with cams is that once you buy one you usually want to go bigger. The best suggestion is to ride along or drive a cammed car. You will be suprised how many people on here in your area will help you. Oh, and a good tuner goes a long way with cams. If you go bigger make sure you have one before you have it installed. Hope that helps

yea your cam maybe a little too big for my application.. good info in there though
Old 01-11-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
you need to make a decision though, do you want good low end torque and good low end-mid range power or do you want to make 400+ rwhp on stock heads? This will determine your cam selection. If you dont think you will be spinning the motor to 6500+ rpms then go with a smaller cam, like say an fm-13, 228/232, tr228, g5x2, torquer v2/v3 etc. If you want to have 400+ rwhp cam only then go with a g5x3 or ms3, but I would personally choose the G5X3 out of those two.

i want a cam to make me good low end mid range power.. and i think that i can acheive 400 at the rear with my mods in my sig on my NON P&P HEADS...

spinning the motor to 6200 - 6400 RPMs is fine.

what cam now?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA

I am liking the specs on the Patrick G torquer cam. Who makes prolly a stupid question there Ok please can you school me on the different lobes. What makes an LSK lobe different from a XR, XR-E lobe??? so i a 110 LSA.. ok that would be a really rough idle, not a problem.. but why is it advanced 4*???? what does that benefit me?
I guess you missed my post...Patrick G's cam is NOT advanced 4 degrees. It is a 110+0. I know this because I asked him the other day.

Hammer
Old 01-11-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want a cam to make me good low end mid range power.. and i think that i can acheive 400 at the rear with my mods in my sig on my NON P&P HEADS...

what cam now?

I would say if you get your throttle body ported, toss on a 25% pulley, and a torquer cam you should hit 400 rwhp. Here are some threads you should look at though. I personally would go with the g5x3 as it will make more power but thats just me:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=g5x3

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=torquer

Just to give you a roundabout idea of what you should expect.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

i was going to go with a 3.73 gear. i have had the 4.10 in my GT, my buddy has it in his 97TA. Too much i want to be able to cruise on the highway at 70 not be spinning 2500 RPMs.....
Wow. I thought you had an M6 - obviously you have an automatic if your rpms will be that crazy high. Because my car is an M6, and with 4.10 gears, I think I run about 2200rpm at 80mph on the highway.

When i say roll racing, those races usualyl take place below or right at the PB on our car.. It is right under the curve. SO i want a cam that can compensate the power that is loss right under the PB. SO with the 3.73 and a decent cam it will make up for that little loss time to get it going. That is what i meant.
I'm ignorant. What's a PB? Is that like a sandwich without the Jelly? My car pulls great from 3500 on.

What makes an LSK lobe different from a XR, XR-E lobe???
Each lobe type has a set amount of lift for its given duration. For example, here's the lift of the 224 duration lobes of each:
XE: .568"
XE-R: .581"
LSK: .636"

so i a 110 LSA.. ok that would be a really rough idle, not a problem..
Not necessarily. Overlap is determined by both LSA and duration. So you shouldn't follow the rule of thumb that overlap causes rough idle. It's wrong.

but why is it advanced 4*???? what does that benefit me?
It allows the IVC to be earlier while still having more duration. Basically it lets a big cam still make more power down low than it would if it were straight up.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

what cam now?
As said, the hp peak on these cars will almost always occur in that range. But you don't shift at the peak! What part of that don't you get. You still have to spin past peak. You want to shift where you have the most average HP across the range of that gear.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like low end tq..

You have these mixed up .. with the same Static compression the earlier 40 IVC will produce more dynamic compression compared to the 45 . So to get the 45's IVC DCR where the 40's IVC DCR is will require more SCR . Thinner thickness headgaskets or small combustion chambers or the best combination { both } allows you to do this.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Teching In

I am also runing the 224 228 XE-R Lobe with 110 Lsa +0 comp 921 springs and 7.450 push rods for my daily driver on 243 castings very happy with it.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like low end tq..

You got it half right...

Closing the intake valve earlier (like in the 40* ABDC example) gives you a higher DCR. It will also keep your power peak lower in the rpm range (good low end torque, but less top end power).

Closing the intake valve later (like in the 45* ABDC example) gives you a lower DCR. It also raises your power peak in the rpm range (better top end power, but at the expense of some bottom end torque).
Old 01-11-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

My head hurts...lol.

I really think you would be happy with a tr224 cam or similar cam. My goals were the same as yours. I drive it mostly on the street so I need the torque down low. Mine dyno'd at 383 RWHP without a ported throttle body. My tuner put a conservative tune in and said he could easilly find another 5-7 RWHP but I was happy with it the way it was. It put down over 380 RWTQ. It has a badass idle, still gets good gas mileage, and traps 116 at the track. My cam is actually smaller than the TR224 but has more overlap so it has a little rougher idle. Whenever I post a video of the car idling everyone thinks it is a bigger cam. My car has every option and NO weight reduction (I even ran with the spare tire / jack in there) You could break into the 11s with a 224 cam / bolt on car with good tires and a good driver (assuming your rear end holds up). My cam is an old cam - there are better cams now. However, I think it is hard to beat the 224 for all around competence.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok i am going to blow my brains out with all the numbers.

Some one needs to just decidr for me... LOL

My car is a M6....

Is it better to have a bigger lift? How does that benefit you?

I am really having a hard time deciding a cam for my application. I have played with at DCR table, but it all is gibberish to me i have no idea what tab to be looking at, and what the number really mean

But if i had to make a choice here it is..

224/228 (XE-R or LSK) Which would be better with STOCK NON P&P HEADS? and i have no idea what LSA to choose. And i dont know what degree i want...

More help in the right direction please

Am i gettin closer
Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go with the Torquer v3, but I don't want LSK lobes. I want to save my springs the abuse and last longer, so I want something with XE-R.

Torchd, notice that LSK lobes (Torquer 3) have alot higher lift for the same duration as XER's (Torquer 2). They will pound on the springs more, and require a double spring setup.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Toasty
I would go with the Torquer v3, but I don't want LSK lobes. I want to save my springs the abuse and last longer, so I want something with XE-R.

Torchd, notice that LSK lobes (Torquer 3) have alot higher lift for the same duration as XER's (Torquer 2). They will pound on the springs more, and require a double spring setup.

Would a Torquer v3 be too big for my stock heads??

i was thinkng this:

224/228 XE-R lobes.. Still can not decide the LSA yet. i am not gettign the overlap and degreeing. and i need to see where i want my DCR to be..