Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder head porting claims...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Studytime
Please... I'm not even going humor you with a response.

Ben T.
Too late, tough guy. Looks like you need ego-stroking elsewhere.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adrenaline_Z
I'm not going to argue anything posted because I don't own a dyno, or a flow
bench.

Reading a couple of sources states otherwise however. I found an article on
Wikipedia which was also backed up by an R-M reference that stated:

Smooth surfaces impede air flow due to a thin boundary layer. This slow moving, or static air promotes fuel separation from the air stream.

Rough lines, or small grooves that run perpendicular to the air stream reduce
fuel separation and improve air flow within the intake port.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

"within intake systems, the surface is usually deliberately textured to a degree of uniform roughness to encourage fuel deposited on the port walls to evaporate quickly. A rough surface on selected areas of the port may also alter flow by energizing the boundary layer, which can alter the flow path noticeably, possibly increasing flow. This is similar to what the dimples on a golf ball do. Flow bench testing shows that the difference between a mirror finished port and a rough textured port is typically less than 1%"

I would imagine track testing would show a larger margin once fuel has been
introduce along with dynamic pressure changes in the runner during a 1/4 mile pass.
you are talking about a polished surface now. we don't polish the intake just the exhaust and I need the 1+%
Old 01-14-2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Good
Ben, the cfm gain should have yeilded some substantial power. There is something else at play here. What is the runner volume of that head? Open carb or 390?
The runners were not cc'd, but size was not substantially changed. The biggest thing was getting rid of high lift turbulance. Some minor work was done on the port but most effort was focused on the ssr. The carb is open, on a single plane Brodix without any sort of spacer. This is a 355 motor with some dome pistons in it. It's seeing 7500 RPM where it's peaking in the high 640s.

Maybe the manifold is truncating the additional airflow and the motor is not seeing it?

Ben T.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe the manifold is truncating the additional airflow and the motor is not seeing it?
Highly possible. Have you tried to flow the head with the gasket and intake
connected?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:19 PM

No, but I would like to see results from exactly what you suggested. It probably won't happen because the motor is needed for an event, but I'd like to see the flow data with the intake connected.

Ben T.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, u guys got too deep into it..lol...umm..so which is better cnc or hand ported?
Old 01-15-2007, 03:48 PM

Depends on who hand ports it. For a race engine you'd be hard pressed to find a CNC head, but on the street a CNC head fits the bill for most.

Ben T.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No CNC marks and a perfectly smooth finish gives the best power. As for as emissions, possibly something else? A slick wall shows the best power on an engine dyno. There are also companies that coat the intake runner at the same time they're ceramic coating the chamber and valves. The smoother the better. Besides the master head for any CNC head is slick in the runners because that slick surface digitizes better.

It contradicts fluid dynamics I know, but which one do you believe? Theory or a lying engine dyno.

Ben T.

I'm beginning to put less faith in head work. Just Friday I saw a motor go from the mid 280s to 320 cfm head flow on a 23* head. It was a 355 ci SBC that picked up zero on a DTS engine dyno at 7400 RPM with an additional 30 cfm at peak and with improvements all across be board from valve job technology and back cutting the valves. Flow quality went from good to beyond great (for a 23* head) and power didn't change. These were pontiac SBC heads fwiw.

I've also seen atleast two other 355 chevy motors in the last two weeks not pick up anything from an additional 20 cfm. Really baffles me. With all this said, the difference in gains from a slightly low relative surface roughness to a higher one (such as a CNC) would be even less.

This data is coming from a DTS dyno and a SF600. With all this said, if you want more power increase your camshaft size and spin your motor higher. I'm beginning to put less faith in what I thought was the most critical aspect of a performance motor- the cylinder heads.

Ben T.
So you teach us that best power on the dyno is achieved by an ultra smooth surface….then you tell us how your heads aren’t making power on the dyno?

It seems to me that with the amount of wins and championships that have been enjoyed by TEA customers…and the wins that have been made in every head dyno article that TEA has ever taken part in…that you might believe what I say….but now you’re the expert…please teach on.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Find someone with a flow bench that will let you use it and just jump in with both feet. That's the only way you'll learn. Forget about surface finish for now because you're hunting elephant. Debating surface finish is akin to the "What's the best wax" debate. If you get up to the Pro Stock level then it'll be a concern. Go to speedtalk andread all of Larry Meaux's posts. While I don't agree with everything he says, he does has a good handle on port sizing.
It's forgotten! I was just sharing some info from the pros. My belief however
is to dress a port to resemble a Pro-Stock motor (port volume and application
considered of course) and use these tricks on the average street-strip motor.

Whether that's out of budget is another discussion totally.

Larry is a great guy. I have read several of his articles and have been lucky
enough to trade PM's with him as well. One day I'd like to start playing with
heads and port shaping just for interest sake.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

A Pro Stock engine and a hot street engine are two entirely different games, two different head porting philosophies.

I'm not saying that surface finish doesn't matter. It does, but it's so low on your list right now that you can ignore it. There are several schools of thought on surface finish these days. One, the oldest, says that the surface should be rough so that seperated fuel can become atomized again. Another says that's wrong, and that a rough surface "grabs" or "collects" fuel out of the mixture, so make the surface smooth. The third is from CNC shops that draws from engineering text to claim their surface is the best. When I start seeing headers with "cnc like" grooves then maybe I'll take notice.

Who's right? I don't know for sure because I have seen them all go fast, so take your pick. But I'm faced with the fact that ultra smooth is competitive in Pro Stock, so I tend to lean that way, especially on the EFI stuff.

Good luck, and don't ever think that you're too smart for anyone to tell you anything. You'll always be a student like the rest of us, or at least most of us.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A Pro Stock engine and a hot street engine are two entirely different games, two different head porting philosophies.

I'm not saying that surface finish doesn't matter. It does, but it's so low on your list right now that you can ignore it. There are several schools of thought on surface finish these days. One, the oldest, says that the surface should be rough so that seperated fuel can become atomized again. Another says that's wrong, and that a rough surface "grabs" or "collects" fuel out of the mixture, so make the surface smooth. The third is from CNC shops that draws from engineering text to claim their surface is the best. When I start seeing headers with "cnc like" grooves then maybe I'll take notice.

Who's right? I don't know for sure because I have seen them all go fast, so take your pick. But I'm faced with the fact that ultra smooth is competitive in Pro Stock, so I tend to lean that way, especially on the EFI stuff.

Good luck, and don't ever think that you're too smart for anyone to tell you anything. You'll always be a student like the rest of us, or at least most of us.
most of this "smooth vs textured" surface science invloved carbed engines not injected anyway. So you are 100% correct. The original post asked if a cnc job could be bettered by a competent hand porting job. The simple answer is yes.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
So you teach us that best power on the dyno is achieved by an ultra smooth surface….then you tell us how your heads aren’t making power on the dyno?

It seems to me that with the amount of wins and championships that have been enjoyed by TEA customers…and the wins that have been made in every head dyno article that TEA has ever taken part in…that you might believe what I say….but now you’re the expert…please teach on.

Funny how you work at a company that sells CNC heads. Guess I could understand where your'e coming from not wanting to lose any sales.

Did you read what Greg Good was just saying? It's the same thing that I'm saying about smooth intake surfaces for race engines.

I was just adding my 2 cents like everyone else Brian. No need to be assinine.

Ben T.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to consider the source too. As for your number 1 point (the oldest) these are carb'd guys that have fuel flowing all the way through the entire intake runner. Fuel flows faster through a rough surface. As for the port being totally smooth...I doubt this is optimal unless it's direct ported. Fuel will not flow well on a smooth polished surface. Think about how fast a water droplet will flow on your hood in a rainstorm when your driving 60mph. Not very fast huh? Same principal. As for the third thought, the "cnc like" grooves provide the slightly rough surface that helps in fuel flow. This is why they're optimal. In our engines, the injectors take care of atomization. It's my personal opinion that there are some parts of the intake port that will benifit from being smooth because fuel doesn't normally touch that part. For most of the companies putting out cnc'd heads, it's not cost efficient to hand finish every intake port that goes out the door. The cnc finish is good enough.

Per the wikipedia quote earlier, that 1% on an intake port that flows 300cfm will be 3. I'll take that extra cfm...won't you!?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

There's a couple of old timey Pro Stock racers that disagree with you.

Let me ask you this. If a relatively smooth intake port finish is good for a carbed engine, why is it bad for a fuel injected engine?

Don't think that wikepedia is the last word on head porting either. You'd be making a big mistake. The subject is much deeper than one webpage can go into.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

What part of the port does fuel not touch?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

To a point, I can agree. ProStock is all about high efficiency N/A wave
tuning. There are details an engine of this caliber contain that our street/
strip motors probably wouldn't respond to, nor register on a dyno/track.

If you have specifics on which parts of the port you are referring to when you
state, "two different head porting philosophies" I'm interested.

I would have thought what you do to the seat angles, SSR, valve job, etc. would be similar
(again keeping port volumes application specific). Having said that, I don't
know that the seat angles of ProStock port profile would work with the average
street head port shape.

Who's right? I don't know for sure because I have seen them all go fast, so take your pick. But I'm faced with the fact that ultra smooth is competitive in Pro Stock
I have a source from Reher-Morrison which says rough is optimal. That may
be for their specific engine however. As mentioned, there's more than one
way to get results.

No ego here; I'm always learning. Even the pros are humbled at times, otherwise
there would be no such thing as R&D correct?

If I was faced with a decision to polish, or stay rough I would opt for the
rough surface based on my research. Whether it works for my motor, or not
is another story. It's possible that my runners would work better with smooth
finishes...I don't know? It's very difficult for me to work against my findings and
try the opposite. That's my position. There's no wrong or right until the
time slip says otherwise.

Last edited by Adrenaline_Z; 01-17-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

I would have though the seat angles, SSR, valve job, etc. would be similar

Nope. Totally different than what you run on a street head.

I have a source from Reher-Morrison which says rough is optimal. That may
be for their specific engine however. As mentioned, there's more than one
way to get results.

Kinda what I was getting at, hey? If there are different finishes running fast then how much difference can it really make?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a couple of old timey Pro Stock racers that disagree with you.

Let me ask you this. If a relatively smooth intake port finish is good for a carbed engine, why is it bad for a fuel injected engine?
Who ever told you that?

This is the area that the fuel mostly doesn't hit.

The fuel injector is pointed directly at the top of the valve. It'll still hit a decent amount of the intake runner though. You can also see a ridge toward the middle of the valve guide. This is caused by the cnc machine not being able to reach from one end to the other. Hand porting this will help in flow.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

You beat me to the edit. I should have known better than to type that
originally. The port designs are so different, you couldn't possibly use the
same angles.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

If you have specifics on which parts of the port you are referring to when you
state, "two different head porting philosophies" I'm interested.

The intake to exhaust rato (valve size and according flow) is skewed to favor the intake side on a high rpm high compression engine. This applies to Pro Stock, Comp Eliminator, and any class that runs this configuration.

The valve jobs are set up to flow well in the higher lift range, 1" and over. This involves steeper valve seat angles and much larger throats. Less emphasis on mid lift flow.

The port taper is reduced, meaning the intake port at the manifold flange is not squeezed down as much, like we tend to do on lower rpm engines.

Another thing about the pro type stuff is that track testing comes more into play. Head porters make changes to the heads and test at the track. Stuff that may hurt flow on a flowbench can go faster down the track.

Quick Reply: Cylinder head porting claims...