Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Sets???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015 | 08:10 PM
On The Tree

You must have been incredibly unlucky to break a dual Rollmaster, they've made great timing sets for a long time although I'm probably a bit biased being an Aussie. I originally bought a single Rollmaster set for my LS1 build, about $180 for the set, then I got a C5-R a little while after for $149 U.S (chain only) after buying into the marketing of them never failing. The C5-R is in the cupboard and the Rollmaster is still on the engine.

Have a very close look at a C5-R and the single Rollmaster, you will find that the Rollmaster is actually a seamless roller IWIS chain, I would expect equivalent to or better than a C5-R and maybe even the C7-R and much cheaper, at least over here.

Best wishes,
Jason

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
I broke a dual Rollmaster!

Do it right the first time.

Either a Cloyes 'hex a just' gear set with C5R extreme duty single chain, 'TSP' have,
or get the Hinson C7 chain. You will have piece of mind knowing that your timing gear is as good as it can get.

Last edited by Jase01; 05-09-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2015 | 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jase01
You must have been incredibly unlucky to break a dual Rollmaster, they've made great timing sets for a long time although I'm probably a bit biased being an Aussie. I originally bought a single Rollmaster set for my LS1 build, about $180 for the set, then I got a C5-R a little while after for $149 U.S (chain only) after buying into the marketing of them never failing. The C5-R is in the cupboard and the Rollmaster is still on the engine.

Have a very close look at a C5-R and the single Rollmaster, you will find that the Rollmaster is actually a seamless roller IWIS chain, I would expect equivalent to or better than a C5-R and maybe even the C7-R and much cheaper, at least over here.

Best wishes,
Jason

When circuit/road racing the rpms fluctuating the chain whips.
If not using a ATI or as good as damper bad harmonics are experienced.
Also the fitment of a chain damper is good insurance.

There's apparently more than one C5R chain, I purchased through TSP & made double sure of what I was getting.
The Hinson C7R chain is also now an option.

After the Rollmaster I went with a dual Inmotion chain, after around 7000km I went with a bigger cam so swapped it for the C5R, on inspection the Inmotion chain was nicely stretched.
Old 05-10-2015 | 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

That is a easy fix...install a chain dampener.
Old 05-10-2015 | 11:32 AM
Super Hulk Smash

I have the Rollmaster Gold Label Dual chain... it comes with a double seamless JWIS chain made by IWIS Ketten in Germany, torrington bearing, and nitrided gears. For the money, it's the best "setup" you can buy (chain + gears).

The cheaper Rollmasters and JP sets come with Rolon chains (made in India), which are cheaper chains. They also do not include nitrided gears.

IWIS has several chains for our cars, including the true C5R chain, a seamless single which is used on the Cloyes setups with the HD "C5R style" chain (it's not the Katech C5R but isn't far off - and the standard Cloyes sets use the LS2 chain made by Renold in England), and the dual roller I have.

Cloyes hand assembles their setups and include nitrided gears with torrington bearings. Their chain selection is good as well.

I would definitely look at a good chain with a good set of adjustable gears.
Old 05-10-2015 | 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Hey Jake, just for your info, the single C5-R chain that I bought was from Katech, I just checked it again and it has what looks like JWIS stamped into the links and it's not a seamless roller chain.

The Rollmaster single although not "gold" labelled is their high end single chain, I'm not sure if it has the nitrided gears like the double but mine is a definitely a seamless roller chain. If the nitrided gears were an option in the single set I'd already have them. I'm reasonably sure their cheaper sets have the JP branding but are still high quality chains.

Best wishes,
Jason.

Last edited by Jase01; 05-10-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2015 | 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jake, just to get the right info, the Cloyes true C5R chain is referred to as the Extreme Duty C5R.... not HD C5R.
Nit picking I know but it may help those that are looking
Old 05-11-2015 | 08:31 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Yeah, that's what they call it - I just know it's an "HD style" chain that mimics the C5R. It isn't the C5R that IWIS makes for Katech/GM though. They are different chains. I don't know what the difference is really in practical applications.

Quick Reply: Timing Sets???