Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G5x4 guy's running heads(need a little help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28misfit
It don't matter too me what people say, I still want the TFS heads! Now why is it one person says they offer plenty of valve clearance, even milled, and others say I have too flycut no matter what? Does anyone really know or they just think they know what they're talking about?
According to TEA, the unmilled 64cc TFS215 has only .005" more valve drop than a stock LS1 head. That's not a lot of additional clearance, but it is some, and yes, you could use them with the X4 and not have to flycut.

Now, you are talking about using a .014" thinner head gasket. That becomes questionable as far as if you'd have a safe clearance. The X4 is a "barely fits" cam with stock heads and gasket, not a lot of wiggle room.
What happens if you bolt them on with the .040" Cometics, clay and check p/v, and find out it's too little? You then have two options....

1, Go back to a stock head gasket and settle for less than optimum compression. It will still perform well and put down some great numbers, but with all that money spent and work involved, why settle for less than ideal?

or,

2. Flycut. But remember, since these heads have a unique valve angle, you won't be able to use any old junk LS1 head to do that, you will need to find a bare TFS head to use as the cutting guide.

No matter what you decide to do, absolutely check your p/v clearances during installation. I have the X4 and was seriously considering these heads myself...but ended up buying some TEA 5.3l heads and will be milling and flycutting to get to optimum compression. I will be very interested to see the numbers and graph on what the X4/TFS combo does though.

As far as the thread with "tons of install problems" with accessories, etc...those were ETP heads. which have an even more extreme valve angle, and yes, they do require some mods to fit.
The only problem I've ever read about the TFS heads were from valve tip wear from using the stock rocker arms. You have to use roller tip rockers with the TFS heads.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

I didn't here anything yet on the rocker part, but there is no way that i'll be able to find a bare TFS head to do the cutting with, I won't pull new heads apart for that. I'll intall my 921's most likely into the heads but that's as far as they're going to come apart. I guess once I get the chance, I'll have to give TFS a call and get the complete low down on what has too and what not has too be done. I didn't think the stock head gasket was thicker than the .040" cometic. Then again I never really checked the thickness of my head gaskets when I did the cam.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

making less power because you are not using a head that flows .320+
flycut or not TFS heads work and I havent seen results that come close besides similar priced but worth it, stage 3 or 4 LS6 heads (cartek).

yes you need to run roller rockers with the TFS heads.
I run the Harland Sharp 1.7 rockers. You can find them for $350+ shipping and its a very nice peice.

As far as the g5x4 without flycutting I would think so. Ive heard alot of big cams fit with these new heads. I havent heard a single person ever flycutting yet. I beleive one of the tuners has a big 24x/24x cam that fit too!

I run a custom vette doctor spec around 600 lift personally with no issues and no flycutting with plenty clearance. I spray the car also.
You can mill to at minimum 60cc and still fit a good size cam 23x/24x 600 lift.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for your input. I wasn't planning on getting rockers but either I'll have too look inot it or just don't buy the TFS heads yet. I hate modding sometimes, it always cost more than you intend on doing at one shot.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

2 Problems here

1 . LG knows the cam specs but has no experiance with TFS heads.

Ive read[ take this as a guess not hard evidence ]that a 64cc TFS offers the same p/v as a 66cc AFR, so if thats true where you start to have to flycutt with the AFR ,you should not have to yet with the TFS.

2 . TFS knows what will clear with their product , but no one exept LG knows the G5X4 cam specs .
Old 01-20-2007, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cws T/A
but no one exept LG knows the G5X4 cam specs .
Lots of people know the X4 specs. It's just not something that's posted on the boards.

Originally Posted by CraZee ZO6
As far as the g5x4 without flycutting I would think so. Ive heard alot of big cams fit with these new heads. I havent heard a single person ever flycutting yet. I beleive one of the tuners has a big 24x/24x cam that fit too!
The TFS heads will fit with the X4 - no problem. That's assuming unmilled, and with a stock gasket.

The X4 is a 24x/24x cam btw.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not saying TFS heads are bad. They're sweet. I was discussing flycutting when there wasn't a clear cut answer about using the Trickflows. Then the discussion went to flycutting in general.

As for the accessories, yeah that was posted about 2 weeks ago I think. You might wanna holler at the few TFS users out there. I know that some are making great power, but for all that have been sold there sure aren't many reports of experience. Definitely too few for all the people saying they're sure they're great heads, that's for sure. But check them out and if it was an isolated incident on the fit, go with it! I wanna hear how they are.

Sorry that folks misunderstood and couldn't follow the flow of the topic as it changed focus.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Can someone PM me with the x4 cam specs....I'm thinking of making a change from my x3

TIA
Old 01-21-2007, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

As far as the X4 specs go, I would like them pm'd to me as well since I'm already running it. Second of all, if you go on the TFS website under recommended parts, the rockers they suggest are OEM. So therefore I'm hoping I can keep my stock ones, now I'm not saying roller tip rockers aren't supposed to be used, but if stock ones work for now that's what I'll use. I apprieciate everyones imput and hope to continue this post.THANKS!
Old 01-21-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....0&postcount=63

I think I would play it safe and just run roller tip rockers.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

they recommended oem rockers at first but then soon realized it was going to be a issue.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Oh ok,thanks, well I'll definatley have to call them and verify everything before I assume anything. Now if the rockers have to be used would Harland Sharp be worth the money? Never purchased aftermarket roller tip rockers before so I want some input.THANKS!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Here's the next ?, will the roller tip rockers clear the vavle covers? I know the baffling or whatever under the covers has to be removed for the old rockers to clear. At least that's what they had to do in the GMHTP magazine article.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28misfit
Here's the next ?, will the roller tip rockers clear the vavle covers? I know the baffling or whatever under the covers has to be removed for the old rockers to clear. At least that's what they had to do in the GMHTP magazine article.
What style valve covers do you have, and what rockers are you looking to run.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

With unmilled AFR 205's, you won't have to flycut and you'll still have a good increase in power.

I also know the specs on the G5X4, but won't tell them with respect for LG.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

As far as the valve covers go, I have the stock ones(car is a 99).I was thinking of the Harland Sharp rockers. I did call TFS today, they said that the stock ones can be used,but for better performance to go with the roller tip rockers.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Any results people have with different heads, I would love to see what kind of #'s you guys are putting down!