Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARE oil pump ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 06:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARE oil pump ?'s

I installed a new ARE oil pump on my car a few weeks back. I drove around for about a week without the O-ring in it didn't know you had to reuse the old one doh! I've since put it in there but still have a problem. When I start up the car I get no oil pressure for about 2 to 3 seconds then it kicks in. I can hear the valve train during this period then when the oil pressure rises it gets quieter. Is this normal? Could it be a bad pump or other? Once the oil pressure rises it stays at normal levels. 50+ when driving and about 30 at idle.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: ARE oil pump ?'s

Oooops! Sorry, I think you've done some damage. No big issue. Shut it down and re build it.

Oh! And start with the "O" ring. You may still have an issue there. Lets hope so.

<small>[ April 03, 2002, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Plan B ]</small>
Old 04-03-2002, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Damage to the pump or the motor?
Old 04-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

If you have some concearns about engine damage as a result of this oil pressure at start up, change your oil, look for streaking or metal in the oil. If you damaged anything it would be bearings, most likely the # 4 main. Things to check for are pick up tube placement, is the bolt tight? If you have the pressure you say you do then it is doubtfull you have damaged anything. Try not to use the car while you find the culprit(lack of pressure at startup). Check with ARE what do they say you should see for pressure. I hear people see about 20 PSI more than stock at ANY RPM. If you must use the car, unplug the coil pack harness, turn the motor over untill you have pressure, plug in the harness and then start the car. This is not ideal but should get you some lubrication to the bearings.. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2002, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

If you are only seeing 30 or so psi at idle with an ARE modified oil pump, something is wrong.

Mine never drops below 40 psi even when hot, and jumps to 70-ish psi at any RPM's above 1500.

Doesn't sound like the pump is doing it's job for some reason.