Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What warranty should engine builders give?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What warranty should engine builders give?

We're in the process of an LT1 engine re-build which will be built for forced induction (Procharger@12PSI) and will include forged 9:1 pistons, H-beam rods and blower cam and ported heads.

The local speed shop we are considering is a reputable builder but hasn't offered a written warranty.

What should we ask for in this regard and what do builders typically offer as far as standing behind their work?

Thanks..
Old 01-20-2007, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually with any product, it's a trade-off. You pay more for a product that carries a good warranty. So talk to him and figure out where on the scale he stands.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some will offer a warranty on a N/A application

but considering there's alot of stress involved when shoving 12lbs of boost througha motor, and something that the engine builder can't guaranty being the tune, i'd doubt if you get anything other than a good faith situation. that means if something happens within the first week or so of startup, and you bring it back for inspection, if it's an honest/reputable shop, they'll go over it and if it's something they did, they might fix it.

now on the other hand, you are purchasing parts that are built to TRY and withstand a large amount of punishment. LOTS of things can/will go wrong, and it's just something you have to accept in this hobby
Old 01-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only will they be doing the build, but the dyno tuning as well, so if any problems crop up, it should be readily apparent before it leaves the shop. I would think the dyno tune would have to wait until the 500 mile or so break-in period, but I"m not sure..I'll have to ask them.