Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WEIRD IDLE PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WEIRD IDLE PROBLEM

i put my car back together and when i starrted it it idles but it seems like once it goes into closed loop the idle junps to 2k and jus sitts there. yhe iac count show 0 on the scanmaster. what would be cuasing this?
Old 04-07-2002, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: WEIRD IDLE PROBLEM

Make sure your TPS sensor and IAC motor connections are hooked up and working properly. I forgot to hook mine up once and the idle start normal and climbed to about 1800 - 2000 rpm.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

ok i checked everything i can think of and its all hooked up. the car use to have mti heads and b1 cam it now has emt stage 3 heads and g5 cam. it all programmed already and all it jus doesnt idle right. this happen before i sent it in for programming so i dont think it has anything to do at all with the programming. the only thing i can think of is that the whole in the throttle body blade is not right anymore or the sensor or somthing has gone bad? the idle doesnt surge or anything it idles where its suppose to but then it jus jumps to 2k and stays there. this happens when the car has warmed up.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:58 PM
Teching In

With new heads and headers, and an automatic, there is custom programming that needs to be done to adjust your idle. There is a place in town here called MTI, http://www.motorsporttech.com

Check them out, contact them, they may be able to help you more. But they say its a requirement. When it got programmed it may not have been done right.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

if IAC count is 0 i woudl check for vacume leaks
Old 04-08-2002, 05:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DITTO on vacuum leaks.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

ok i think i found a possible problem when i was testing out the car again trying to find a vacume leak a pressed down on the brake and brake fluid squirted out of the brake thingy at the front of the engine. this fitting is not on right so would this be a vacume leak? i need to buy a new plug wie now becuase the fluid got on one of them and burned the wire up.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

ttt
Old 04-08-2002, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake thingy is a bit sketchy but if you mean vacuum brake booster check valve is unplugged from booster than thats a big vacuum leak.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

if you have brake fluid squirting out of anywhere you have a lot bigger problem than a screwy idle. namely how to stop that car when you do get it moving and you replace half the fluid with air. inevitably this will rear its ugly head whe you are in the tripple digits and coming up on somehting that needs the immediate attention of the brake pedal.

as for the "brake thingy" if its squirting brake fluid its not a vacum leak, vacume and brake fluid areas are completely seperate. Also there isnt anything on the front of the engine that is brake related. the brake booster is connected at the rear of the engine. if it is disconnected it will be a HUGE leak...

The only thing I can possibly imagine you might be talking about is the ABS controller, it is a fairly good sized aluminum "block" with a bunch of braided steel lines coming out if it. It might look like its connected to the motor, but it isnt. none of the lines go to the motor either...

take a can of carb cleaner and lightly spray the areas you think might be leaking and if the engine idle changes at all you found the problem. Also what are your O2 sensors doing? are they reading lean? do the injectors look like they are dumping lots of fuel 9in autotap)? if the answer to either of these is yes, that is another sign of a vacum leak
Old 04-08-2002, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

my l trims at idle look like there at 25 so where would the most common place for a vaccum leak occur?
Old 04-09-2002, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Old 04-11-2002, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

well i tore the sleeving off the egr pipe going to the top of the intake and the piping was all cracked. i must of bent it to much. welll this has to be the problem so i will be blocking off the egr now since its already deleated from my computer. this has to be the problem what do you think.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LS1derfull:
<strong>Brake thingy is a bit sketchy but if you mean vacuum brake booster check valve is unplugged from booster than thats a big vacuum leak.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I second that, that tube is like a garden hose.