Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Experts please help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Experts please help.

Everyone in this forum has been a great help. I am looking to buy a LS1 Hot Cam for my slightly modified 2000 Z28 6M. The mods are external only and include: SLP LT headers, SLP 85mm Mass Air, Borla Cat Back, and a K&N FIPK. The heads are stock as well as the computer parameters. I would like to keep those as is because I have a limited budget. I also don't need a car that can do 10's in the quarter. At least not yet. The problem is..... Everyone on this forum states that the car will accept the cam and will work fine with some minor tweeking of the throttle body plate. O.K. no problem. BUT, the tech guys who sell this cam kit say there is no way it will work without reprograming the computer for about $500. And that's on top of the $450 for the kit. Who should I believe here? I see guys on the forum who run this cam with similar mods as my car (without computer reprograming) and they say it's fine. But when these guys who sell these parts say no go, I tend to believe them. I need some clarification here.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Cam Experts please help.

Do you have an manual transmission or automatic?

It can be made to work with either, but with the auto it takes a little more fiddling. You'll also probably need to get a MAFT and access to autotap to fine tune the air-fuel ratio. Tuning helps (alot in some cases) but it isn't required. If you get tuning, make sure its someone who's tuned for a cam before, so not only will they bump up the timing, but they'll also move the air-fuel ratios around some.

J.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

I have a 6M, and a 85mm Mass Air Sensor.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:24 PM
D(irecto)r Pepper

Numerous folks that have answered my cam survey...
http://xs-fx.com/raughammer/cam_info.htm#Hot Cam
Have posted that they have used the Hotcam with no other PCM tuning.

With some fiddling.... you should be able to make it work.

Good luck.