Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tricks to lean out after H/C install+drilling idle air hole

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any tricks to lean out after H/C install+drilling idle air hole

Just did a heads cam swap, and my car is running incredibly rich (ATap'd it). Are there any methods to "trick" the computer into leaning it out a bit. I already have a descreened, and ported MAF. Also, I'm having problems with it dying out at idle. I have an M6, and drilled out the throttle body idle air one size bigger, and made not difference. I've heard from others with M6's that they didn't have to touch the throttle body. My cam specs are .545 224/230 114. I know that custom tuning will fix this stuff...any tricks of the trade to pass on to a working college student?? Thanks!!
Old 04-16-2002, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any tricks to lean out after H/C install+drilling idle air hole

You need to raise idle setting with idle adjustment screw, you can raise it up to 100 rpm with out setting hi idle DTC. Your ses light must be on, but that will be for DTC o3oo, for missfires, with that size cam.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Any tricks to lean out after H/C install+drilling idle air hole

One option you might have (somebody correct me if I'm wrong):

The inlet air temperature probe (RTD) monitors air temp via a change in resistance. If you uplug this sensor you can directly connect a resistor to the plug.

By directly connecting a resistor to the plug you should be able to trick the computer into thinking that the air is hotter/colder.

I am guessing on this part: Colder air temperature I am assuming the car would run slightly richer. Hotter air temperature I am assuming the car would run slightly leaner.

I don't have the specifics of what resistance represents what temperature, but I'm sure somebody would be willing to chime in with that.