Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would it cost for a good 422cid engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What would it cost for a good 422cid engine?

Go with who you feel is best. Any company can have problems. For an example, I personnally know I a guy who has an ARE 360. Well he wound up breaking a rocker arm. When he pulled the valve cover off it turns out that there are stock rockers in there. I mean come on. What were they thinking? You pay that much for a motor and something like that happens. I would say go with someone in your area who does good work and knows what they are doing and let them do it. That's what I am doing. It cost a little less and I believe I have better parts in my engine then what they (MTI or ARE) offer in their package deals. I also know for a fact, when mine is done that I will do the "Pepsi Challenge" with them between my setup and their's. You know you always hear MTI, ARE, and Lingenfelter and everybody raves. Well, it is just my opinion that they are overrated and you pay a lot for name brand. Now, I am not saying they are bad and I am sure they do good work. I just want to tell you there are other alternatives out there.

<small>[ April 22, 2002, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: Jackyl_30 ]</small>
Old 04-21-2002, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Jacyl_30

I'm going to do a 382 with a T-trim also, just wondering what installation kit you will be using. I heard someone is coming out with an install kit, but I haven't heard much on it. I talked to Vortech and they said they are going to do one also. There is aguy there doing the development, but I haven't talked to him yet.
Old 04-21-2002, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, the guy doing my setup is making one. A new bracket will have to be made and possibly a smaller power steering pump pulley in order for it to fit down in there. Contact:
RMCR (Rocky Mountain Competitive Research)
2275 Waynoka RD Suite E
Colorado Springs, CO 80915
(719) 574-0625

Mark McCallon owns and operates the place. He will be able to tell you more about it. Right now he is building my engine and doing the supercharger. He is also doing a T trim on a 98 TA. He is going to make a killing when this is done, with the kits. He has done a similar thing with the Impala SS's. He gets calls all over for the kits for those cars.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Yah, I think your right about name brand cost. It seems that you always pay more for someone who advertises more. But I will ask around to see who could do a good job for a good price. Thanx for your info.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Jacyl,

Thanks for the info, I'll be interested in seeing how your setup works-good luck.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Jackyl_30,
Most if not ALL of the aftermarket shops use STOCK rockers in their engine combos unless you specify aftermarket. 1.8 aftermarket rockers are 800 bucks!
Chris