Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler provision?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil cooler provision?

Hey guys, what looking into an oil cooler for the LS1 and thought that the oil diverter plate right above the oil filter looks likeit was made to swap out with a cooler provision, it really seems to do nothing other than move the oil from one passage to the otehr, which could be done internaly, do any of the LS1 based engines run an oil cooler? does anyone know of a part number or if there is a part that fits there to run one?

thanks
Troy
Old 04-25-2002, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Oil cooler provision?

I think there is a cooler kit for the trucks, but it will have to be modified to fit. The lines run alongside the block and have a support that bolts to the block, but I think the alternator is in the way, so the routing would have to change. There are adapters available that bolt up and have AN fittings. Someone posted recently about this topic, so try a search- I can't remember where it was.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Hi,
Here is the adaptor you are looking for.
Steve

"Wheel to Wheel has designed an Oil Cooler Adapter
Our adapter bolts to the engine block near your oil filter and has provisions for the factory oil sending unit."
Wheel To Wheel
Old 04-26-2002, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

I saw that from another post, but that is way overpriced. if it came with the coller and everythign to hook it up it wouldnt be too bad, but 200 bucks for just a small piece of aluminum with a few holes in it and 2 AN fittings is ridiculous.

I'll bet that GM has one for a cooler, I cant see any other reason for the diverter being there in the first place
Old 04-27-2002, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Simplest thing would be to remote mount the fiter and run a cooler w/ those lines. I've moved my filter but have yet to add the cooler - project for this spring along with the tranny cooler.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Freak, you can definetly tie in the oiler diverter spot. On the Incon TT kits the diverter is replaced with a new piece and the oil is then sent to the turbos for oil supply. So it can be done. Not sure if anyone makes one, but you could just tap the stock one with an outlet connection. As stated you could use a remote oil filter kit and then just put a small oil cooler inline.

Gary
Old 04-27-2002, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

thanks guys, I have thought about an oil filter relocation kit with a cooler but I didnt know they made one for the filter size that we use. Maybe I shoudl look into it
Old 04-28-2002, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Lingenfelter has a similar piece for about $125.