Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dex-cool bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The extended life part was basically an addition to Dexcool itself. Dexcool itself was created to better prevent corrosion in certain aluminum blocks. The fact that the "extended life" can go for 150000 miles is a bit beside the point. What's being argued is whether or not dexcool is better or worse for our engines than the regular green stuff. Everyone should just run whatever they feel comfortable with as long as they check it regularly and maintain their cooling system. However, in no way does anything imply that dexcool is worse for our engines.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dex-cool eats rubber seals in water pumps. Ford proved that with the 99 couger and thats why they use silicate/phosphorous based instead of OAT based coolant. Dexcool also takes a LONG time to provide protection from corrosion while phosphorous based coolants offer protection almost immediately.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Kind of a thread hijack, but where is my coolant mysteriously going? I have to add a little bit every few months (not much, but it is below the full cold line), and I have no visible leaks anywhere (under the car or in the engine bay)...

Does it just evaporate out somehow?
i had the same problem on my 99 SS, but i had to add some coolant every few days. i had no visible leaks or anything. i took a gamble and just spent the money on a new radiator because i figured it was original. anyways that solved my problem. you probably have tiny hairline cracks on the plastic tanks of your radiator that only leak under pressure. same thing happened to my old 3.8 camaro. i hope that helped you out.

-Mike
Old 02-01-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand what Ford engines have to do with using Dexcool in ours. It doesn't eat water pumps in ours, it eats them in Fords, like you said. I understand your point in green vs. dexcool. But, like I said, everyone should just use what they feel comfortable with. I have yet to see any corrosion in a dexcool engine that was maintained properly. Then again, I'm not the type to buy into things unless I see it personally or hear enough about it with consistent results.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
i had the same problem on my 99 SS, but i had to add some coolant every few days. i had no visible leaks or anything. i took a gamble and just spent the money on a new radiator because i figured it was original. anyways that solved my problem. you probably have tiny hairline cracks on the plastic tanks of your radiator that only leak under pressure. same thing happened to my old 3.8 camaro. i hope that helped you out.

-Mike
Interesting...I'll have to keep an eye on it. It'd be nice if it wasn't so damn cold out right now...I'd go dig around some more.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Dex-cool eats rubber seals in water pumps. Ford proved that with the 99 couger and thats why they use silicate/phosphorous based instead of OAT based coolant. Dexcool also takes a LONG time to provide protection from corrosion while phosphorous based coolants offer protection almost immediately.
If you are so sure that dexcool is bad, then why even start a thread asking if you should use it? Seems to me that you've already made up your mind regardless of others' opinions or experiances. So just use the green stuff if you want.

The cooling systems in all my current GM cars are using Dexcool without any sludge build-up. I would never let any coolant go 150K miles though. I will continue to use dexcool because that's what this car's cooling system was designed to use.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting...I'll have to keep an eye on it. It'd be nice if it wasn't so damn cold out right now...I'd go dig around some more.
haha yea, orlando has had some high 20's to lower 30's weather latly. thats a big change for us here. good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
If you are so sure that dexcool is bad, then why even start a thread asking if you should use it? Seems to me that you've already made up your mind regardless of others' opinions or experiances. So just use the green stuff if you want.

The cooling systems in all my current GM cars are using Dexcool without any sludge build-up. I would never let any coolant go 150K miles though. I will continue to use dexcool because that's what this car's cooling system was designed to use.

I have already purchased 3 gallons of the stuff and am going to install it this weekend. I am just throwing facts out there that I have come across. I am curious. If it's BS, I wanna know.

Basically what I learned is this:

Keep the cap on the radiator
Bleed the system WELL!
change it like normal coolant
keep a CLOSE EYE on the resivor bottle
Old 02-01-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kind of a thread hijack, but where is my coolant mysteriously going? I have to add a little bit every few months (not much, but it is below the full cold line), and I have no visible leaks anywhere (under the car or in the engine bay)...

Does it just evaporate out somehow?
I had a similar issue. Turn out to be a vacuum leak. It eventually caused the car to overheat and spew fluid out. BTW the little shop off the highway I took it to to diagnose the problem added green to the car to top it off. I flushed the car 3 times to make sure I wouldn't have any issues. Now at 115000 miles still have the original water pump and still run dexcool. no issuses whatsoever.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by ws6gluemaker
I had a similar issue. Turn out to be a vacuum leak. It eventually caused the car to overheat and spew fluid out. BTW the little shop off the highway I took it to to diagnose the problem added green to the car to top it off. I flushed the car 3 times to make sure I wouldn't have any issues. Now at 115000 miles still have the original water pump and still run dexcool. no issuses whatsoever.
Vacuum leak where?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vacuum leak where?
Thats what I wanna know!!! My car loses coolant everyday and I don't have any visible leaks!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid

-Mike
I thought our radiators where all metel? You mean the plastic overflow resivor?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
I thought our radiators where all metel? You mean the plastic overflow resivor?
no, they have plastic tanks in them.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any problem with adding distilled water to dexcool?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

i had the same problem with the radiator in my 95... the sides of the radiator are plastic, the core is aluminum/copper... the little tanks on the SIDES of the radiator are what crack, they crack down the little fin lookin ridges. look for dried up coolant down the sides of your radiator... i replaced mine and never had a problem ever again.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

I'll replace mine...its got a lot of miles. I can't find the SLP radiator that was $300! Where'd it go? All I see is the really expensive ones!
Old 02-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
I'll replace mine...its got a lot of miles. I can't find the SLP radiator that was $300! Where'd it go? All I see is the really expensive ones!
I checked for that today as well...doesn't look like they make them anymore. I think they were just LT-1 radiators with the right fittings to hook up to the LS1s, so they might have had the plastic tanks as well. Not sure, but oh well. I'll have to get up under my car once it gets warmer out.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brandonppr
There is a lot of people trying to get a lawsuit agaist GM just for this stuff.
on a few years when they first switched to it the GM head gaskets would not withstand the coolant I am not sure which models it affected but I know it affected a lot of the V6s like grand am and grand prixs. It would eat through the gasket and either cause a leak on the inside or the outside. and if inside it could cause engine the engine to fail. It usually happens between 50k-90k. The repair for just a leak on those cars are around 1k. I replaced my nieghbors and it was a real pain. GM will not fix it in most cases dealers sometimes cover the cost but very rarely.
They did revise the gaskets on the cars affected and now the new gaskets are not supposed to be harmed by the dex cool.
To me if they revised the gaskets, I mean its not the same material, Then something must have not been right. On the newer models its not a problem I think after 2002 but not sure on that one.
I use the green than can be used with either green or red. in all my CTS, Camaro, and Silverado. I never personally had a problem and I think our cars are not affected by the problem but not sure about that either just never heard of a lot of problems with gen 3/4 V8 engines
I just got something in the mail today that said im part of a lawsuit against gm for all this dexcool crap. i have no idea how i got involved in it. i had a 00 tahoe limited and a 00 z28, but i didn't buy either of them from a dealership, so how did i get involved in this? i also get letters from time to time sying my extended warranty is almost up, i never applied for any warranty, i don't know what that ***** about
Old 02-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
My 5.0 had a 50/50 mix of distilled and Dex from day 1. It went through 2 pumps in 20K miles. I know most GM vehicles I hear about lose water pumps at around 70-100K miles.
dexcool ate up my water pump in less than 35,000 miles. switched to green coolant. we'll see how this goes. dexcool FTL. anyone that says dexcool doesn't cause any problems is just ignorant. it CAN work well, but it has a much more negative history than the green.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

being a driveability mechanic and working at a chevrolet dealership i havent seen too many problems other than people dont get their coolant flushed at a set time. the intake gaskets and water pumps i have had to put on are the ones that have never done a coolant flush or poured the "mix with every coolant" ****.i used different coolants for a little experiment (i guess you could say) and when i put my motor in my truck i went through 2 lower intake gasket within 2 months and that was only puttin 5k on the motor. i changed to dex-cool and i got 40k on my motor and havent had a problem yet, i even put an ls6 in my buddies camaro and thats what he uses and no problems from him either. i guess im really not a lot of help... wow well that was pointless haha if yall got any questions feel free to pm me.

jdime20
I just got something in the mail today that said im part of a lawsuit against gm for all this dexcool crap. i have no idea how i got involved in it. i had a 00 tahoe limited and a 00 z28, but i didn't buy either of them from a dealership, so how did i get involved in this? i also get letters from time to time sying my extended warranty is almost up, i never applied for any warranty, i don't know what that ***** about

as for you maybe when you bought the car the warranty was transferred to you and you just didnt know it. and even if you didnt buy your cars from a gm dealership they still look for people that own cars for whatever lawsuit is pending. as a matter of fact my dads car got a crack in the windshield and he got a letter in the mail from honda saying that he needed a receipt for his windshield if it was messed up. i think maybe they even do it by vin. hell i dont know just throwin some **** out there.

Quick Reply: Dex-cool bad?