Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dex-cool bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:29 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They run your VIN and send the letter if you EVER! have the vehicle serviced at a dealer. They did it with me and an old 96 crown vic I barrowd a while back, lol
Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdime20
I just got something in the mail today that said im part of a lawsuit against gm for all this dexcool crap. i have no idea how i got involved in it. i had a 00 tahoe limited and a 00 z28, but i didn't buy either of them from a dealership, so how did i get involved in this? i also get letters from time to time sying my extended warranty is almost up, i never applied for any warranty, i don't know what that ***** about
There is no shortage of POS attorneys who want to collect a large number of names for a class action suit to threaten businesses. If you have a large number of names, the company will often settle even if it is groundless. Who wins? Why the attorney of course. He gets 30% of a $500,000 lawsuit settlement and the 250,000 "class action" participants get $1.25 each.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my radiator hoses after 130,000 miles started seaping coolant out of the hose, the rubber had broken down, so i replaced all those when i rebuild my motor, 0 problems since. even if the coolant tank is nasty, the block and radiator are beautfuly clean.

since you guys think "dem new fangled inventions are bad" along with switching back to green coolant, go ahead and switch your cars to carbs.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cop Car
my radiator hoses after 130,000 miles started seaping coolant out of the hose, the rubber had broken down, so i replaced all those when i rebuild my motor, 0 problems since. even if the coolant tank is nasty, the block and radiator are beautfuly clean.

since you guys think "dem new fangled inventions are bad" along with switching back to green coolant, go ahead and switch your cars to carbs.
I did just that with my GT
Old 02-02-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
dexcool ate up my water pump in less than 35,000 miles. switched to green coolant. we'll see how this goes. dexcool FTL. anyone that says dexcool doesn't cause any problems is just ignorant. it CAN work well, but it has a much more negative history than the green.
If it ate up everyone's water pump in 35k, then it would be a problem with Dexcool. I believe the argument should be about Dexcool itself, not how it sometimes causes problems. I don't think anyone is saying it never causes problems, just that the argument that Green is better b/c sometimes an improperly maintained Dexcool system can get sludge in it is a bit asinine.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
If it ate up everyone's water pump in 35k, then it would be a problem with Dexcool. I believe the argument should be about Dexcool itself, not how it sometimes causes problems. I don't think anyone is saying it never causes problems, just that the argument that Green is better b/c sometimes an improperly maintained Dexcool system can get sludge in it is a bit asinine.
listen, no matter what you say, dexcool is far more problematic than the green coolant. people don't want to admit it, but let's face it, dexcool has problems. if our cars came with green coolant from the factory, i can guarantee you there would be less water pump problems. dexcool reacts horribly when air gets in its system, and no system is 100% airtight. not only that, it's tougher on seals and gaskets. most people run dexcool without a problem, but it doesn't change the fact that green coolant is less problematic. argue all you want, but there is a problem with dexcool itself. why do you think so many mechanics hate the stuff? stereotypes are created for a reason you know.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:34 AM
10 Second Club

water pump 2, choco taco 0
Old 02-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Banned

listen, no matter what you say, dexcool is far more problematic than the green coolant. people don't want to admit it, but let's face it, dexcool has problems. if our cars came with green coolant from the factory, i can guarantee you there would be less water pump problems. dexcool reacts horribly when air gets in its system, and no system is 100% airtight. not only that, it's tougher on seals and gaskets. most people run dexcool without a problem, but it doesn't change the fact that green coolant is less problematic. argue all you want, but there is a problem with dexcool itself. why do you think so many mechanics hate the stuff? stereotypes are created for a reason you know.
Why do you drive a purple car?
Old 02-03-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think anyone said Dexcool has no problems. Whether it's more or less problematic is a relative to the circumstance in which it was used and maintained. Regardless, I'm not trying to convince anyone and could care less who believes what, so I'm not sure why you're taking the "listen, no matter what you say" route.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

after over 10 years of use in MULTIPLE engines in MULTIPLE platforms and vehicles, dex-cool must be junk because gm has invested a ****-ton of time and money in r&d for our cars only to KEEP using it. it's common sense guys, gm has a LOT more money and a LOT more time invested in use of dex-cool, if it sucked they would not use it. how much warranty work would it take to revert back to green coolant? evidently dex-cool hasn't reached that number yet.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GM won't admit to ****. From faulty third gen camaro belts to the column lock problem on the C5's (which costed me over $1,000 to fix). It wouldn't surprise me if they were covering up or ignoring problems with dex-cool.

My 98 vette ate a water pump at 40K miles and it's been having problems with low coolant for the last year.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I have already purchased 3 gallons of the stuff and am going to install it this weekend. I am just throwing facts out there that I have come across. I am curious. If it's BS, I wanna know.

Basically what I learned is this:

Keep the cap on the radiator
Bleed the system WELL!
change it like normal coolant
keep a CLOSE EYE on the resivor bottle

Hay aren't you the guy that heard the mystery noises when he changed his oil and posted up a bunch of BS on that subject and then caved in at the end of it .. .. I have 129 K on my engine and water pump ... flushed the dex cool out at 75K and replaced with more dex cool I've had no problems with the cooling system or the anti freeze..it has worked like a champ...as you go through life you will find that nothing is idiot proof..including anti freeze..
Old 02-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Hay aren't you the guy that heard the mystery noises when he changed his oil and posted up a bunch of BS on that subject and then caved in at the end of it .. .. I have 129 K on my engine and water pump ... flushed the dex cool out at 75K and replaced with more dex cool I've had no problems with the cooling system or the anti freeze..it has worked like a champ...as you go through life you will find that nothing is idiot proof..including anti freeze..

No mystery noises. The lifters were louder with 10-40 than with the 0-30 I am using now.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:55 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you drive a purple car?
He doesn't... but I do. Something wrong with it?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by s346k
after over 10 years of use in MULTIPLE engines in MULTIPLE platforms and vehicles, dex-cool must be junk because gm has invested a ****-ton of time and money in r&d for our cars only to KEEP using it. it's common sense guys, gm has a LOT more money and a LOT more time invested in use of dex-cool, if it sucked they would not use it. how much warranty work would it take to revert back to green coolant? evidently dex-cool hasn't reached that number yet.
doesn't GM get some type of kickback or money for using dexcool? don't they own part of the rights to it or something? i believe GM is making money off using the dexcool and it simply happens that they're making more money off of people being forced to buy the overpriced **** than they do on repairs. again, dexcool cars are known to have more water pump issues than green coolant cars. just because GM uses it doesn't mean it's better for the cars.

GM recommends mobil 1 5W-30 for corvettes, but it's been proven that many other brands and weights of oil outperform it. why does GM recommend it? they get a kickback from exxon/mobil for it. now, mobil 1 30 weights are losing their full-synthetic status to boot. they're turning into a group III oil just because GM recommends it doesn't mean it's good for your car. it means they're making MORE MONEY by recommending it.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always use DEX COOL. Never gave me any problems.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
He doesn't... but I do. Something wrong with it?
yeah man, you a homo?

j/k, messin' with Choco about his steriotype comment and that his formy looks purple in his sig, lol.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Resident

yeah man, you a homo?

j/k, messin' with Choco about his steriotype comment and that his formy looks purple in his sig, lol.
i know you're just jealous because your car's as common as sand on the beach while no one on LS1tech has my car in my color i originally wanted a black WS6, then i realized i could be unique
Old 02-03-2007, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NassyVette
GM won't admit to ****. From faulty third gen camaro belts to the column lock problem on the C5's (which costed me over $1,000 to fix). It wouldn't surprise me if they were covering up or ignoring problems with dex-cool.

My 98 vette ate a water pump at 40K miles and it's been having problems with low coolant for the last year.
third gens are 20 year old cars. NO other car company stands behind its cars as long as GM.

for your low coolant problem, check your hoses and put in a container of block sealer (before you go saying how itll screw up your coolant system, all cars get it at the factory, and it works)
Old 02-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

I've got 116K on the clock and still on the stock water pump and flush my system every year with dex-cool. No problems yet!! (now that i've said this my water pump will go out tomorrow!) I guess it's like everything else.....some people have problems and some don't?

Quick Reply: Dex-cool bad?