Sponsored by:

question about forged pistons

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 12:47 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default question about forged pistons

This is what someone told me and I'd like to get some opinions on whether this is accurate or not.

"I was talking to a guy about the whole piston thing and he said when you change from the stock pistons to custom forged you have to leave a little more space(.003") on the side from the stock recomendations due to that forged ones have a tendency to expand so along w/ the extra space between the piston and bore you will have the pistons banging around inside. And w/ forged ones they retain more heat and in turn will cause some power loss."

I have a 3.8 V6 so I have to send my pistons to Wiseco or Ross and get custom ones made since noone makes forged ones for my engine. I'm hoping to get them made as accurately as possible.
Old 05-20-2002, 05:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: question about forged pistons

Retaining more heat, as opposed to transfering more heat, would mean forged piston would help capture more power, not less. I am surprised you cant find shelf pistons for your 3.8, try J.E. pistons.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The piston to bore clearance is difference for each alloy of piston and also varies based on block material as well. My Lunati 4032 forged pistons required .005"-.006" in an iron block versus .002"-.003" for the LS1 aluminum block. Bore size is also a factor...

Check with some of the turbo buick guys for their piston suppliers. Your 3.8 is the same engine as the buick.

Shane
Old 05-20-2002, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Typical forged piston application on the LS1 is about .006 piston-to-cylinder-wall clearance. Not sure what stock is though. A lot depends on the silicon content of the pistons. You do need a little extra space because the pistons swell a little as they warm up. This is what makes forged internals a little noiser at start-up. Extra space promotes a little piston slap when cold.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3.8 shares history with the Turbobuick, but very few parts. I believe you'd be hardpressed to find Turbo Buick parts that fit that motor.
Buick guys have explored this avenue since the newer 3800 motors have some trick parts/features compared to the 15 year old turbo V6's the Buicks have.

Brian Green
89 TTA