Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Pin Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Pin Failure

well.. F**k! i think i have a damaged piston pin. (I have a 99 camaro Z28 82k miles and i bought it about a month ago.) The car has been doing awesome until now.. but.. I heard a clapping slapping noise a couple days ago in my motor.. so i took it to the dealer and they listened to it and thought it was a 'loose rocker'.. i didn't think that was the case because it wasn't a constant noise. It makes the noise when i let off the gas or when i accelerate and let sit at a certain rpm.. so i had some mechanics from a service shop i know of listen to it and they said its a damaged piston pin..
I think i'm going to just buy a long block.. i dont think i want to go through the nightmare of repairing it. Any suggestions?
Old 02-02-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, there are hundreds of other parts that would fail before the piston pin. Piston pins are BEEFY, even from the factory. I'm willing to put money on that it's something else.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
IMO, there are hundreds of other parts that would fail before the piston pin. Piston pins are BEEFY, even from the factory. I'm willing to put money on that it's something else.
Im with this guy, ive never heard of a pin failure in a street LS1.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Regular

Piston slap? Get a sound clip posted if possible.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Teching In

i'll try to get a sound clip.. but i thought the same thing.. its would take a lot to damage a piston pin.. im having another mechanic friend of mine check it out soon. the car drives good but if i get into higher rpms(which i dont anymore) i will hear the clapping slapping clanging whatever noise. i'll see if i can get a sound clip.

Quick Reply: Piston Pin Failure