Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foam like bubbles in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Foam like bubbles in oil?

I checked my oil level the other day, its been 1000 miles since my change. The guy at the service station talked me into using 5W-30 Mobil One again, when I had been using 10W-30 Mobil One since 500 miles. I noticed a few foamy bubble on the dipstick. It didn't look like something other than oil, but the bubble were grouped together. Nothing extreme though. And my oil level was down about a quart for the first time. What is this a sign of, is Mobil One 5W-30 too thin. Should I change the oil, I will use Royal Purple on my next change.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Foam like bubbles in oil?

Foamy oil can be a sign of other things. Big question - was there any sign of moisture on your dipstick? How is your coolant level? Any moisture, or unexpected coolant drop could equal big problems. It might also be worth it to drain your oil and see how it looks/pours. On the other hand, maybe this is normal with 5W30 oils??? Don't know, because I have never used them.

Though some would disagree, I would not recommend 5W30 oil unless it's winter and you live in a cold place - that can be a very thin oil, which is not necessarily the best if you have hopped up your engine any.

Quick Reply: Foam like bubbles in oil?