Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYNTHETIC WITH 500 MILES?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: SYNTHETIC WITH 500 MILES?

You'll be just fine. Remember, every LS1 C5 has had synthetic from the factory, and they must continue to use synthetic after that to maintain their warranty, so it's totally safe to run synthetic in a new engine.

People think that synthetic is some miracle oil that does not allow engines to break in because it's super slippery but that is simply not true. It's not really any more slippery than dino oil, it just has a more stable base oil so it handles the extreme heat and extreme cold better, and it won't lose it's viscosity as easily. And since it doesn't contain any waxes, and very little VI improvers, it won't sludge up or varnish up your engine as easily. But it's not a miracle oil that will eliminate all engine wear entirely.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:49 AM
JIM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SYNTHETIC WITH 500 MILES?

Can I use a fully synthetic oil (such as Mobil 1 or Amsoil) with a 2002 SS that has 500 miles on it. I have seen several posts with people arguing if these LS1's came with fully synthetic and I don't want to start a post like that. I just want to make sure when I change my oil at 500 miles that I won't be screwing up putting fully synthetic in it. Thanks
Old 05-30-2002, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: SYNTHETIC WITH 500 MILES?

i have an 02 z28 that i dont put anything elts other than mobile 1 5w30 i allso put this in after the 500 mile break in , and have been running ever sins