Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone running the Lunati 382 rotating assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is anyone running the Lunati 382 rotating assembly?

Loking at this thing, and I was a bit curious... Wondering if anyone here was running it, and if so, how much did it cost to prep the block for the rotating assembly? Anything else someone who is considering this kit should know? Thanks!

- Matt
Old 05-29-2002, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is anyone running the Lunati 382 rotating assembly?

Don't know if I'll be much help. I didn't do the install myself. Had MTI do it nearly two years ago. I've been 100% mechanically trouble free on the Lunatti 382 Stroker setup. My understanding is that the block needs no specific additional clearancing for the setup. There may be some additional piston to wall clearance issues because of the forged pistons. I'd advise a call directly to lunatti with your questions and concerns. My bet is they'll help all you need to make up your mind. You might also call Jeff or Jayson at MTI. They may be enough help to decide if you want to go it on your own or possibly prep' the short block assembly for you if you can handle it from there. There's a great deal more to it than just the short block ***'y and they've done a ton of them. Their help could save you mismatched components and some grief. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2002, 08:01 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes.,. MTI sells a All Bore setup.. I think it is $5k.. You would have to contact MTI or Nineball for the specifics..
Old 05-30-2002, 01:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Trans Am WS6 420:
<strong>Loking at this thing, and I was a bit curious... Wondering if anyone here was running it, and if so, how much did it cost to prep the block for the rotating assembly? Anything else someone who is considering this kit should know? Thanks!

- Matt</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I purchased the Lunati kit for my 409 iron block. The only difference between that kit and the 382 kit is the pistons. The only real machine work that may be necessary is to hone the cylinders for .002"-.003" piston to bore clearance and to align hone the mains. Other than that, it is a direct replacement for the factory assembly. Once you have the assembly in hand, bring it and the block to the machine shop, have them machine the block appropriately then measure all clearances (many times...) and assemble.

Hope this helps,
Shane