Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it normal for catch can oil to look like milk? (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How the hell did you overheat with that BeCool rad?

My car runs at 180* TOPS here in CA in the middle of the summer (110-115*).

Fans stopped working?

The only time I had a prob was when I somehow fried the wire to my Meziere electric water pump.

You running a 160* T-stat?

Mech. or elec. water pump?

Its worth the extra $ to just drain the oil to be sure. Drain at se what it looks like. Did you overheat top the point where the overflow canister was leaking/bubbling over? If so, they you go, there's your loss of coolant.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Launching!

You know... my buddy Scott who builds and races Grand Nationals once told me that if your oil looks like chocolate milk shake, blame the head gaskets.

I bet thats what it is.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPDEMON
How the hell did you overheat with that BeCool rad?

My car runs at 180* TOPS here in CA in the middle of the summer (110-115*).

Fans stopped working?

The only time I had a prob was when I somehow fried the wire to my Meziere electric water pump.

You running a 160* T-stat?

Mech. or elec. water pump?

Its worth the extra $ to just drain the oil to be sure. Drain at se what it looks like. Did you overheat top the point where the overflow canister was leaking/bubbling over? If so, they you go, there's your loss of coolant.

Good luck.
I have no idea, my car always runs at 170 degrees, and after a 300 mile trip on the highway I got off the highway, and after 5 minutes of city driving my temp guage was in the red. I pulled over on the side of the road and I could feel and hear my coolant boiling, so I know it definatly overheated. I have no idea how though, and I'm running a mechanical WP and a 160 degree thermostat. I filled up the coolant after that and bled the system, so it was full again it wasn't low because of that. Even if the fans stopped working I don't see how it could peg the temperature gauge that fast.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackSVT03
You know... my buddy Scott who builds and races Grand Nationals once told me that if your oil looks like chocolate milk shake, blame the head gaskets.

I bet thats what it is.
Thats the oil in my catch can, so far the oil looks fine on my dipstick. Like I said though, the first time I emptied the catch can the oil looked like normal oil, so this combined with being low on coolant has me worried.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I have no idea, my car always runs at 170 degrees, and after a 300 mile trip on the highway I got off the highway, and after 5 minutes of city driving my temp guage was in the red. I pulled over on the side of the road and I could feel and hear my coolant boiling, so I know it definatly overheated. I have no idea how though, and I'm running a mechanical WP and a 160 degree thermostat. I filled up the coolant after that and bled the system, so it was full again it wasn't low because of that. Even if the fans stopped working I don't see how it could peg the temperature gauge that fast.
I'll almost bet you that it was the fans. What else could it have been?

If you were driving for hours, than drove around a bit after the fans quit, you'd be surprised how fast a motor can heat up, like 10 degrees per minute. Once you're over 235-240*, it's over.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Just an update, for all of you people saying its normal, its not, #8 cylinder has a blown head gasket, it hydrolocked when I tried to start it today. There's nothing like pulling out a sparkplug and having coolant spill all over your face.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Just an update, for all of you people saying its normal, its not, #8 cylinder has a blown head gasket, it hydrolocked when I tried to start it today. There's nothing like pulling out a sparkplug and having coolant spill all over your face.

I figured it was something bad. Good luck with fixing it.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Well, look on the bright side, you get to up your compressoin for a few more ponies!!
Old 02-09-2007, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

oh man, sorry for your loss. now you gotta figure out why did that happen while the heads are off. any ideas yet?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

My guess is it happened when it overheated.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

yeah but then, why did it overheat? just trying to help you to figure out what hapened, to avoid doin all the work to repair the head gasket, only to have it happen again, cause you didnt fix the problem that caused the head gasket to blow. also better check the head and deck surface to make sure there still flat and no cracks in the head around the valves.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irocss85
yeah but then, why did it overheat? just trying to help you to figure out what hapened, to avoid doin all the work to repair the head gasket, only to have it happen again, cause you didnt fix the problem that caused the head gasket to blow. also better check the head and deck surface to make sure there still flat and no cracks in the head around the valves.
I have no idea, I'm hoping it was a freak accident.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

My car was having over-heating issues and it ended up being my thermostat not opening until close to 240*. So, I just took it out completely. Runs right around 180*. But then again here its always really hot. Already hitting close to 90* and its barely into Feb.!!!

Ski

Quick Reply: Is it normal for catch can oil to look like milk? (pics inside)