Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Chatter? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Chatter? Help!

Im getting a ticking from the passenger side of the car... Seemed to happen after installing my hooker shorty headers, also put new plugs and wire in there... So i rechecked everything and its all installed right.. But still getting a ticking.. And a few times while driving the car, it seems to fall on its face for a second, then go like normal.. What i mean is.. Ill be leaving my house.. 1st gear is fine.. shift to second and hit the gas, and the car seems to stumble for s second then go like normal. Dunno if this is related the ticking.. Im using Mobil 1 oil.. I cant shake this ticking, and its really bothering me.. Is it going to cause damage to the car? This is the only car i have.. so it needs to be top-notch... Help me out guys...
Old 06-11-2002, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Valve Chatter? Help!

Car ticks alla time, right? Only on one side? You checked to make sure that the plug wires are crimped and not sparking? (Park car somewhere wheres its really, really dark. NOT yer garage. Open hood, start engine, close driver's door so no interior light, parking brake on to eliminate headlights, check for sparks. There shouldn't be any).

Other thing could be is an exhaust leak somewhere on the header. Exhaust *might* be visible at the break. Usually this is at the mating surface (head-to-header).
Old 06-11-2002, 09:28 PM
Stu
TECH Resident

Default Re: Valve Chatter? Help!

Since you just installed headers and I am assuming you still have the AIR system attached then the ticking is the check valve fluttering.

Pu a restrictor in between where the check valves attach to the headers and it should cure it.

Stu