Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do LS1's have high copper concentrations in oil during breakin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why do LS1's have high copper concentrations in oil during breakin?

Seems like every LS1 oil analysis I've seen shows high copper concentrations within the first 15-20k miles. Mine shows even more copper concentration than what I'm used to seeing from other LS1's and it's beginning to make me wonder. I'm assuming that the primary source of copper in an engine would be in the bearings. Is there anything unusual in the LS1's assembly or bearing structure that would cause it to show high amounts of copper in the oil during the first 10k miles or so?
Old 06-22-2002, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Why do LS1's have high copper concentrations in oil during breakin?

Seems like valve guides could be another culprit, but wear at these early mileage numbers seems odd. I've heard twice now from other sources that GM uses an anti-seize or assembly lube that contains copper. Can anyone vouch for this?
Old 06-23-2002, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can not say for sure about lube GM uses, although i would agree with that.The valveguides i believe to be iron or some hard alloy, not copper in makeup.My findings with 14,000 miles is the intake guides have some play in them, nothing with exhaust though.I dont know how loose GM set them originally, but 5000 of these miles were with a decent sized cam and Comp 918 springs.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

I don't know howmuch copper wear there was but hwen I bought a used set of heads the valve guides were wore out badly.

Quick Reply: Why do LS1's have high copper concentrations in oil during breakin?