Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for central stroker info

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for central stroker info

Is there a site that has good complete stroker info? I'm looking for the following basic guidance for a street driven motor:

1. Why choose 360/382/396/422/427? Is it a price-only choice? Is bigger better?

2. What stroker mods are 50-state legal? Installs only? Packages only? Longblocks/shortblocks?

3. Can you start with a shortblock and stock externals?

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping I get more than a 'that's a stupid question' silence...
Old 06-24-2002, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Looking for central stroker info

This would be the best site for the information you're looking for...

Price is usually a big consideration for most folks. Generally, the bigger you get, the more you pay. You could install a stroker crank and still use a stock-ish bore for a 382, 385cid, etc, but those combos have never really seemed to shine.

The large bore (4.100+) combos seem to be where it's at. Couple a 4.100" bore with a 4" stroke crank, and you end up with a 422. The LS1 stroker crankshafts are pricey right now, which really drives up the cost of any kind of big engine buildup. To get the big 4.100" bore sizes, you either have to resleeve an aluminum block, or use the C5R block ($$$$). You can get close (around 4.060" bore) with the iron LQ6 truck block, but then you have the extra weight of the iron block (75lbs. or so).

Another option is the big bore stroker combo without the stroker part... That's what I'm having built right now, a 4.100" bore resleeved aluminum block with a stock crank... Displacement works out to 382cid.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:41 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Looking for central stroker info

You have found the right site to learn about stuff, so don't be scared to ask ANY questions, even if you think they might be "dumb" LOL.

1. Why choose 360/382/396/422/427? Is it a price-only choice? Is bigger better?

Yes, its all about price. You can build a 382-393ci setup with a stock crankshaft if you go with an "all-bore" setup (resleeved aluminum block with larger cylinder bores) as George mentioned. The forged stroker cranks are still around $2600, and those are required for 396-4XX cubic inch strokers. Bigger IS better, but it costs more. But, once you get into the 408ci sizes and larger, the motors cost about the same no matter how "big".

2. What stroker mods are 50-state legal? Installs only? Packages only? Longblocks/shortblocks?

I'm assuming you mean smog-legal. That will depend on your camshaft selection. A milder camshaft in a huge motor will easily still pass emissions testing. Every sponsor on this site can build a smog-legal setup for you, built motors are basically custom tailored to your exact desires. From mild to wild, you just tell them your goals and expectations and they will know what you need.

3. Can you start with a shortblock and stock externals?

a stock internal shortblock is not going to increase your cubic inches. The only way to increase cubic inches is by adding a crankshaft with a larger stroke distance, or by increasing the diameter of your piston/cylinders.

Tony