Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strong Short Block for 300 shot

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
5.60's would be hauling ***.... basically an 8 second pass. You are not going to do that with anything shy of a direct port and full blown suspension. Welcome to 20k$ project.
Now that is more realistic.

Id say a stroker kit in the stock block would be plentiful to get him there. 3.9 bore can do it. Just not cheaply.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Juiced
not to mention that a 300 shot has a much higher chance of lifting the heads durind the initial spike in cylinder pressure.
Not sure who's building the motors you speak off but it hasnt happened on the ones ive seen built right. The cam choice matters a lot here.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by zspot98
I'm not questioning the benifits of running a dual stage. I'm questioning running a 150 then another 150. I always assumed that the 1st stage turned off when the 2nd came on? Is this where I'm going wrong?
Depends on how its wired...Ive had 2 kits that were wired like that. Then i said **** it and added them together. Leaving the first kit on and adding the second one on top.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:22 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

I am green behind the ears when it comes to running these times. But I know I want to start getting my short block going now. I know where I want to be in 2009 & that is to run 5.60s

So from the sounds a stock 6.0 Iron Block along with good Rods & Nitrous Pistons is the first thing I need to get,

I have no problems dropping $2000 on a Neal Chance converter, I figure the whole project will be in the area of $15,000, I plan on doing this in steps as I go. So I can still enjoy the car while I build the motor, I will be getting 350 trans & Neal Chance converter towards the end of 08, All the while while I am getting my short block built. I plan on running the 350 trans with my stock 346 on motor & getting the suspension dialed in to run 6.80 on the 350 on motor.

Then once the Short Block is done, Go ahead & spray a 125 shot on the stock 346 with the 350 trans & shoot for some 6.40s till I blow the stock block.

Shoe horn the Built Short block in & get it dialed in on motor, If the combo is a 408 short block. I will be looking to run 6.60s on the motor & then once I feel comfortable with the power. Start with a small 150 shot & shoot for some 6.20s & work my way up from there.

I am thinking 2 yrs out from now. But want to start on my goals now. So come 2009 I can reach 5.60s by the end of the year of 2009
Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

200 shot is pretty comon, 300shot has been done you should ask this in the nitrous forum?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2 yrs down the road there will be a better setup available. Look at what there was 2 yrs ago and what we have now. I'd just wait and save the money and see whats available when you have the cash to buy it. Do the suspension first and get the rest of the car ready for the power and the time you want to run. Then do the engine when the rest of the car is ready for it. The longer you wait to build the engine the more choices you'll have and the prices will be better as well.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
2 yrs down the road there will be a better setup available. Look at what there was 2 yrs ago and what we have now. I'd just wait and save the money and see whats available when you have the cash to buy it. Do the suspension first and get the rest of the car ready for the power and the time you want to run. Then do the engine when the rest of the car is ready for it. The longer you wait to build the engine the more choices you'll have and the prices will be better as well.

This is good advice that I will be taking. But I will be getting the suspension ready in the mean time & getting the 350 trans decked out along with the rearend.

I just don't have 15k to drop right now at once. But don't want to buy one part & have to replace it again. I know what I want to run & when I buy a part I expect it to be part of my combo & to remain on the car for the combo.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, suspension, rear-end, drive shaft, transmission, that stuff doesnt change and is a good foundation.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

having a stout built shortblock is easy, but 300 shot of nitrous even divided into 2 stages lifts heads. A friend of mine who is well known here as Next on the nitrous forum has had many challenges with "only" a 300 shot but he isn't running a 2 stage kit.

you can probably get the motor to work without lifting the heads but that et wil require major weight reduction and basically turn your car into an all out race car.

good luck car should absolutely rip when all said n done
Old 02-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
What is unrealistic about it Professor?

That stock block 372 CI motor has a 3.9 bore. It will run deep 5's at ease. I dont think he will get there with out some trick parts if he stays hydraulic but 5.60's in a 347 is very possible. No one has ever done a full all out 3.9 stock stroke setup to do it. If i had unlimited funds, id build a second motor just to prove you wrong. When you have the right people from the start it can happen.

I didn't say a damn thing about running .60s with a 3.9" bore jackass, I stated that THIS GUY wont do it with any bore. Totally different. The motor RAY built is making good power, and it should for the parts and labor that are invested into it. Matt Harlan's old car was a stock CRANK 3.9" bore setup and it went deep 8s. You need to take more time to read and evaluate what is being said before you run your mouth.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

And SEB, basically on a project like you are talking about, take whatever budget you think it will require and then double it (if not more) and then you'll be getting close to the true cost to run the number.