Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who to have install heads and cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who to have install heads and cam?

I want to get a stage 2 head and cam package but I have no idea who to have install it. I'm sure not going to rip that motor out from under the windshield myself. All the performance shops I know of around here are all a bunch of retards that rip you off so I wouldnt trust them with my car. I suppose dealers probably charge like 2 grand for that kind of work??? I live in MN by the way.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:32 PM
D(irecto)r Pepper

Default Re: Who to have install heads and cam?

Take your time and do some serious research here.

Dont get in a hurry.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Good idea. I'm not in to much of a hurry. I've already spent 6K on the car this year. I'll probably research it until next spring. Any ideas for a really good set of heads and cam? I'm running 9psi from a procharger D-1SC.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:25 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm doing my own head and cam install right now, literally. In fact I just got through a pivitol moment, managed to get the factory cam out and put the new one in. I too thought that it would be a nightmare to work on, but in reality it's quite easy. With the coil packs out and the intake off there is a TON of room in there. You just have to be a bit patient and buy lots of bandaids and antiseptic wipes!

I'm sure everyone will give you their own opinion on a HC package, but there have been some nice split duration cams that have shown up. Seem to be pretty good for Supercharged and Turbo applications. I'm not qualified to size one up for you, but I do want to put a D1SC on my car this coming spring! I'll let you come over and we can swap out the heads and cam and put the D1SC on my car at the same time!

Anyway, here's the write up I'm doing for it. Head and Cam Install. It really isn't that bad to do though. Stopping only for sleep it would only take two days to do, requiring a friend to help out here and there.

After all, if you don't bleed on it it's not yours!!!
Old 07-02-2002, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by derty:
<strong>I'm doing my own head and cam install right now, literally. In fact I just got through a pivitol moment, managed to get the factory cam out and put the new one in. I too thought that it would be a nightmare to work on, but in reality it's quite easy. With the coil packs out and the intake off there is a TON of room in there. You just have to be a bit patient and buy lots of bandaids and antiseptic wipes!

I'm sure everyone will give you their own opinion on a HC package, but there have been some nice split duration cams that have shown up. Seem to be pretty good for Supercharged and Turbo applications. I'm not qualified to size one up for you, but I do want to put a D1SC on my car this coming spring! I'll let you come over and we can swap out the heads and cam and put the D1SC on my car at the same time!

Anyway, here's the write up I'm doing for it. Head and Cam Install. It really isn't that bad to do though. Stopping only for sleep it would only take two days to do, requiring a friend to help out here and there.

After all, if you don't bleed on it it's not yours!!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great page! I like the writeups and all the great pics.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:40 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Derty. I wish I was as mechanically inclined as you. I think what I've done so far with the nitrous, supercharger, and other stuff is pretty good but without some sort of 1st hand experience or schooling I dont think I would dare tear apart my LS1. I would bleed plenty until I started the motor and watched it blow up in my face or completely run like crap. I'd be proud if it ran like crap because I would expect it to explode. But if I ever attempt it thanks for the tips.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:08 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Justin2000Z28:
<strong>Thanks Derty. I wish I was as mechanically inclined as you. I think what I've done so far with the nitrous, supercharger, and other stuff is pretty good but without some sort of 1st hand experience or schooling I dont think I would dare tear apart my LS1. I would bleed plenty until I started the motor and watched it blow up in my face or completely run like crap. I'd be proud if it ran like crap because I would expect it to explode. But if I ever attempt it thanks for the tips.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, I'm not really familiar with the LS1 internals at all. That being the case I feel like a newby at this. I have the very same feelings about watching it explode when I start it. I think if you've done the supercharger install, this would be on par with something like that. But I can certainly understand your position.

One thing you can do is most of the racing shops will do the install and warranty it for you. For instance if you chose something from Agostino Racing you could get them to do the install. And they would warranty the work for you. I think you may find that typical for most of them. Just call around to all of them and see what you can find. Being in MN is going to sting a bit though, I'm not sure who the closest would be for you.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, if all yer gonna do is H&C vs pulling the motor and sending it out, I gotta tellya, it's way easier just doing the H&C yerself. There is so much wiring to the LS1: Whatta PITA.

Primo suggestion #1) In addition to having good reference materials to work with that have alla torque specs, etc; take lotsa pictures. I mean: LOTSA pictures. From *every* conceivable angle, before and during. As detailed and explicit as possible. Sure does make it easier later... (BTDT)