Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam numbers question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam numbers question.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out what cam to put in my car. I have no idea what all the numbers mean, or what their effect is on the performance of the engine. Is there a web site that explains what the numbers mean, etc.

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Re: Cam numbers question.

Competition Cams has a lot of very good information on how cams work on their site.

Crane Cams site has a lot of information as well.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Cam numbers question.

It's all in the "valve timing events". Specifically, what the cycles (times & durations) are for the intake and exhaust valves, especially intake. Another key factor is "valve overlap", that is the amount of time that both the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time.

I realize the minigide is a big download, but it's well worth it. It explains *all* the facets of engine operation. Comp's website www.compcams.com has a valve timing tutorial, but it's not as detailed as the minigide. Comp does have several other pages that can be linked from their catalog.

http://www.motionsoftware.com/minigide.htm

Remember, an internal combustion engine is nothing but a big air pump. How much air you can get in and out, and how efficiently, plays about everything in an engine.