Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ridiculous motor question please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridiculous motor question please help

Well, here is the deal! I have a 99 Z that I've been modding pretty consistently (small stuff) however I'm consuming an awful lot of oil. I"m wondering when folks have their motors tweaked (bored to 383s etc.) if the rings are updated and this helps with oil consumption?! I'm looking at justifying putting money into a car that embarrases me by eating oil.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2002, 04:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Ridiculous motor question please help

Have you checked/changed your PCV valve? That's a common problem for burning oil. When I had my 383 built for my '98 T/A, we used stock GM rings.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I checked my TB and no oil but I ran the modified PVC with 2 inline filters and I still consumed like a biatch---thanks tho.
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Trevor D:
<strong>Have you checked/changed your PCV valve? That's a common problem for burning oil. When I had my 383 built for my '98 T/A, we used stock GM rings.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Old 07-19-2002, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

TTT
Old 07-19-2002, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Do you have a manual or auto tranny? I ask because many of the people with high oil consumption have manuals. *If* you cruise around town at an abnormally high rpm by being in a low gear with low throttle openings, the engine isn't under much load but the rpms are sorta high, and it can cause oil consumption. For some people, its a driving style thing.

When I installed my aftermarket tq converter in my A4, I started to use a touch of oil. This is because, at around town throttle positions the engine is getting sorta revvy but is under light load, causing the rings to flutter.

GM redesigned the ring pack in 01 I think (for either 01 or 02 LS6s)

J.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

yes M6 but to be honest the driving style is not like the way you describe it sounds like GM is offering any excuse minus the fact that this damn motor drinks oil.
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Crazyquik:
<strong>Do you have a manual or auto tranny? I ask because many of the people with high oil consumption have manuals. *If* you cruise around town at an abnormally high rpm by being in a low gear with low throttle openings, the engine isn't under much load but the rpms are sorta high, and it can cause oil consumption. For some people, its a driving style thing.

When I installed my aftermarket tq converter in my A4, I started to use a touch of oil. This is because, at around town throttle positions the engine is getting sorta revvy but is under light load, causing the rings to flutter.

GM redesigned the ring pack in 01 I think (for either 01 or 02 LS6s)

J.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">