Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie question about roller rocker ratio and cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default newbie question about roller rocker ratio and cam

hey guys,i'm working on becoming a proud owner of an ls1. the guy that's building the engine wants to know what kind of cam i want, and the guy that's grinding the cam wants to know what rr ratio and type of cam (flat tappet/hydraulic).

i thought stock rr ratio was 1.7....but i'm reading things about "advertised" 1.7 or "advertised" 1.6. it's driving me bonkers....which is it for the ls1 (my block's a 98)?

and i assume that it's a hydraulic roller, but the guy grinding the cam threw me off by asking if i needed a flat tappet. someone tell me stock cams for these engines are hydraulic rollers!

sorry to ask, i tried doing some searches in the forums; is the search not working? it would just show me a blank white page every time.

thanks guys.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

it's a hydraulic roller and stock rockers are 1.7.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:12 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by demonpixel
hey guys,i'm working on becoming a proud owner of an ls1. the guy that's building the engine wants to know what kind of cam i want, and the guy that's grinding the cam wants to know what rr ratio and type of cam (flat tappet/hydraulic).

i thought stock rr ratio was 1.7....but i'm reading things about "advertised" 1.7 or "advertised" 1.6. it's driving me bonkers....which is it for the ls1 (my block's a 98)?

and i assume that it's a hydraulic roller, but the guy grinding the cam threw me off by asking if i needed a flat tappet. someone tell me stock cams for these engines are hydraulic rollers!

sorry to ask, i tried doing some searches in the forums; is the search not working? it would just show me a blank white page every time.

thanks guys.
wow, i hope your engine builder knows a thing or two about ls1s? cam is a hyd. roller(55mm journal), and uses a 1.7 rocker ratio.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by demonpixel

thanks guys.
I would be very concerned that he is not building you an LS1 Motor, and that you are going to get an old school chevy,
The difference between a hydraulic flat tappet and a hydraulic roller is huge, both in performance, technology and price,
and he would know that LS1's are 1.7 stock,
unlike older Chevy motors which are 1.5 stock and 1.6 is usually the aftermarket upgrade, rarely 1.7,
I would be concerned by these questions,

The only other cam you would put in an LS1 would be a Solid Roller,
but either way it would be a roller, never a flat tappet cam.

What other cam specs has he provided you?