Sponsored by:

When it Rains, It poors.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When it Rains, It poors.

Hello,

Okay, so I just replaced all my pushrods with hardened Comp Cams pushrods Magnum Series.

Well, the car just started making this noise after sitting on the highway and romping on it a couple of times. When I got close to my uncle's house it started surging and bucking. It was also backfiring. I could he pings in the intake. Here is the video that I recorded.

http://media.putfile.com/Ticking-LS1 the second cut is the car sounding normal.

But, on my way home, without romping on it but on the highway for a good 40 to 60 minutes and the car was fine.

Well the next day, I was on my way to my mechanics shop to figure out what is going on with my car. I was at a stop light sitting there for a while and I see my oil pressure needle quivering like the oil was surging through the motor, but which is was quivering around 40 PSI which I know is normal and so I revved it up a couple of time to make sure my I have pressure in the upper RPMS which I did.

Well I get to the shop and let the car sit for 20 minutes and of course the car wasn’t acting up besides that oil issues. So my mechanic hops in my car to show me a couple of shifting techniques and romp on it and also launch it from a stop. The car decided to act up, and started making the noises in the video. It sound like it’s a squeaky belt or something, but the oil pressure drops to about 19 PSI. And I just changed the oil after the pushrod replacement with Mobil 1 5w-30 and Lucas additive. So I pulled it into the garage to check the oil level and it was fine.

Here comes the exciting part. So I turn on the car and 0 oil pressures. I turned it on and off a couple of times to make sure it’s not the gauge. So my mechanic decided to take one of the valve covers off and run the car with the valve cover off and see if oil is getting up to the heads. So I start the car again and there was 0 oil pressure again and then he twitches the throttle a couple of times and then the oil pressure spikes again and he saw oil in the head.

Conclusion, We think its either a clogged screen, oil pressure unit has gone south, but we never touched that unit accept possibly bumping it taking the intake off, the third reason is we are thinking the oil pump is going south, bad bearing (but there is no knock in the engine and the old oil filter looked clean) and my father is chiming in and saying it might be the oil pressure relief valve.

Here is the question I am going to ask. Are our motors oiling system setup is that at idle or at low RPMS there isn’t much oil in the heads like an oiled style race motor.

Has anyone had a similar problem or anything similar to this issue? We are thinking it the oil pressure sending unit.

Thank you for reading this and I apologize if my grammar and spelling stinks.

Tilly
Old 02-22-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A bad sending unit isn't going to explain the rattle and clatter.

You are losing oil pressure.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if it is just coincidence but I had oil pressure issue after using lucas additive.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lucas additive can destroy an engine that **** is horrible. It froths up very bad when it gets hot which causes major air pockets in the oil which get sucked into the oil pump and into your engine. Air in oil passages will destroy your engine, you likely need a rebuild or just get a new forged block. You could have got an air pocket in there and spun a bearing.

Do a search here and on google for the test that got done with Lucas additive, the results were scary, it airates the hell out of oil, never put that **** in your car again.

Last edited by brad8266; 02-22-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you took the valve cover off and no oil was shooting out when he hit the throttle that means the guage in the dash is most likely right. This could be a spun bearing which would cause the oil not to make it to the head, or it could just be your oil pump decided to give up on you. Im thinking the pump just went out which is a good thing bc you can go ahead and get the ported LS6 pump and start getting ready for a cam. As for the belt squeaking sound im not for sure about, bc i cant watch the vid. bc im at work. Anyways like i said ill guarantee you its the pump.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah it could just be the pump too, hope so. But with that lucas **** in there id be worried.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Oil Pump
Old 02-22-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That squeeking or chirping noise is very strange...did you check and see if it was coming from the idler pulley ... sometimes they squeek
Old 02-22-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bearing
Old 02-22-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Okay,

The car seems to act up when the oil gets hot. Its not a spun bearing because, the oil fitler was clean o nthe last oil change and there is no knocking sound whats over. Also the oil pressure came back whe he was bumping the throttle and i had pressure at idle after that, about 40 psi.

Do our motors restrict the oil when the car is at or below 1k rpms to the heads?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tilly
Okay,

The car seems to act up when the oil gets hot. Its not a spun bearing because, the oil fitler was clean o nthe last oil change and there is no knocking sound whats over. Also the oil pressure came back whe he was bumping the throttle and i had pressure at idle after that, about 40 psi.

Do our motors restrict the oil when the car is at or below 1k rpms to the heads?
It acts up hot because that Lucas **** froths up the oil when it gets hot which lets air in. You new filter and clean oil has nothing to do with it, Lucas lets air in your oiling system, which can easily spin a bearing.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/af...tabilizer.html

And here is the Lucas test. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Old 02-22-2007, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

I agree, get that lucas out of there, but I am not completely sold that it is your only problem. If it were, wouldn't the noise becoming from both heads? I assumed you rechecked your rocker arms to make sure they are tq'd.
A pump is not hard to change out so that is probobly where I'd go next.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brad8266
It acts up hot because that Lucas **** froths up the oil when it gets hot which lets air in. You new filter and clean oil has nothing to do with it, Lucas lets air in your oiling system, which can easily spin a bearing.
Ding ding ding ding we have a winner. LOL i'll bet that this is your problem, when that lucas crap hits your pump it creates air bubbles and that causes you to not be getting high oil pressure. So when he blipped the throttle of course some oil will come out then bc it has the pressure to prob go through the air bubble.

What i would do is buy some just regular oil like 10w 40 its pretty cheap and drain the oil thats in it now with the lucas BS in it, and let the oil drain for 2 hours so you know you get most of it out of the engine. Then put in the regular oil and do a complete sea foam job and take the car out for a nice joy ride say maybe 100 miles and then go back home and do another oil change but this time put in like GC synthetic or mobil 1 or something of that nature.

After all this i believe it will clean your pump out and also clean your entire engine to so kill 2 birds with one stone. ALSO MAKE sure that you get that sea foam out of there before you go over 150-200 miles bc that stuff is not good to put a whole lot of miles on it with it in your oil. Your car will prob run so much better and idle better to.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Sorry just in case that you didnt know what sea foaming was here ya go. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/534376-how-seafoam-your-car.html
Old 02-22-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'd make sure before going on a joy ride that it ISNT the oil pump.....otherwise you'll **** yourself worse if it turned out to be an oil pump problem.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Ya forgot LOL definitely make sure you've got oil pressure before that joy ride. but thats kinda a no brainer.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KCFormula
I agree, get that lucas out of there, but I am not completely sold that it is your only problem. If it were, wouldn't the noise becoming from both heads? I assumed you rechecked your rocker arms to make sure they are tq'd.
A pump is not hard to change out so that is probobly where I'd go next.
We checked all the rocker arms and they came out to be fine. None of the bolts backed out.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Teching In

If oil additives were a good thing, they would already be in the oil.

The old man
Old 02-22-2007, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 544 Likes on 433 Posts

My old car squeaked like that right before it spun a main bearing. Those pressure fluctuations might be metal shavings from the bearing getting caught in the pump. Drain your oil and see if it looks like it's got metallic dust in it. If it does, you may as well plan on rebuilding your engine.