Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does This look Like a T1 Cam?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does This look Like a T1 Cam?????

Me and my brother ordered a custom grind T1 cam from a shop in Houston for $300, because they were the cheapest. (not MTI) When we got them they did not have a spec card with them. We had waited 4 weeks to get them. We were impatient and decided to trust them. The shop said they were done at the same place. One of the cams had a Lunati stamp on it and the other had a comp cams stamp on it. We both installed the cam, LS6 intake, Hooker LT's and ORY, Titanium springs, retainers, and Chrome molly push rods.

Mods that matter on Dyno before install:
Lid, MAC ORY for stock headers, Loudmouth catback, GMAF, HPP3, and all free mods.
This combo put us at 329RWHP and 338RWTQ.

Mods after install:
Lid, Hooker LT's, Hooker ORY, LS6 intake, T1 cam, LS1 edit custom tunning, AMS ported TB, Loudmouth catback, GMAF, all free mods
This combo put us at 375RWHP and 342RWTQ.

Our #'s are within 2 to 3 HP/TQ of each other. So I only put up my dyno graphs.

LINK TO DYNO GRAPHS
http://bcisnt.coba.unt.edu/lacy/dyno.htm

I think we got the wrong cam or they were not ground correctly. DOES THIS DYNO GRAPH LOOK LIKE A T1 CAM. It doesn't to me. We both paid $450 for the cam install, plus $335 for the cam. Do I have a ligit problem I could take to the shop and ask for my money back. The only way to tell is to take the cam out at get the specs right? There was another guy at the dyno the same day that had the exact same set up except for a GM hot cam. He put down 370RWHP and 362RWTQ. I am no expert but shouldn't a T1 cam but down more torque than a GM hotcam? I am happy with the RWHP but the I am pissed about the RWTQ. I only picked up 4 RWTQ from a cam, intake, and LT's w/ ORY. Something is wrong right? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2002, 06:14 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Does This look Like a T1 Cam?????

Tq is low, but it is close to what my original dyno looked like.. I was 372rwhp/370rwtq with 3.42's.. You have 4.10's..
Old 07-23-2002, 06:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't believe you guys bought cams without seeing a cam card. There is absolutely NO way to tell what cam specs you have by looking at dyno graphs. The only way is to remove the cam and have it measured on a cam-doctor machine, or get the vendor to provide you with the original cam cards.

Sometimes trying to save a buck will end up costing you more in the end. Know what you are paying for, because skimping on internal engine mods is a big mistake 99% of the time.

Tony
Old 07-23-2002, 10:25 PM
Banned

If you ever decide to take the cams out, we offer cam checking services at Thunder Racing for $25. We can put them on the Cam Pro Plus and you will get the EXACT specs of the cam, not just what a manufacturer's cam card would state. Even if you did get the correct grind, there is a good bit of tolerance in what many of the cam manufacturers will ship out, and putting the cam on the cam doctor is the only way to know for-sure what you are getting.

Angie
Old 07-24-2002, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Angie I might just do that, to see what we really have. I am the guy that sent you the Mcloud master cylinder. Have you guys got those back in yet???
Old 07-26-2002, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

you still didnt get the master back?
Old 07-26-2002, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Not yet. Still waiting for thunder to get there next shipment in.