Sponsored by:

Oil gauge stuck? (Patman?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 03:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil gauge stuck? (Patman?)

SS 2000 A4 - no mods as yet

I changed the oil for the first time (since I bought the car) - went with the stock AC Delco replacement and 10/30 oil and afterwards reset the oil change light.

All fine BUT...now when I turn the car off the gauge drops to zero (as one would expect) but then creeps up to just over half way - about 320KPA (the range is 0-550).

When I turn the ignition on (but before starting) the gauge returns to zero but as soon as I start the engine it goes up to 320. At higher revs the gauge goes up but never falls below 320 - it's like the lower end of the range is stuck at 320.

I figure it must be something to do with the oil change but can't figure what I might have done - if wires were disconnected I'd expect the gauge not to work at all.

I don't know what grade of oil was in the car originally but I drained the lot out (left the plug out for a couple of hours). Maybe the grade has something to do with it but 10w/30 is pretty standard isn't it? Patman seems to be expert on oil grades.

I've seen a couple of other (worrying) posts about the oil pump failing but those guys were getting a zero pressure reading when first starting their car.

Any help/comments or thoughts gratefully received.

<small>[ July 24, 2002, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: TagUK ]</small>
Old 07-24-2002, 08:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil gauge stuck? (Patman?)

If you have Autotap or another scantool , you can check the voltage on the sensor and determine if it is the sensor or the gauge.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's definitely something wrong with the gauge or sensor, the 10w30 viscosity works very well on these engines, so it's not the oil.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, reply appreciate your replies.

I won't be getting Autotap for another month so I guess I'll have to wait 'til then - guess it would be worth me picking up a new sensor while I'm in the US though. Are these only available from GM or can you get them in Autozone?

Good news not an oil problem but the sensor looks a bit of a b*tch to change.