Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting Ls1 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Porting Ls1 Heads

Nothing has to be done to set-up the springs. I am using my stock valves and the Ls6 springs. Thanks for the warning though.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Porting Ls1 Heads

I am going to install an LS1 Hot Cam, Mac headers, and do my own porting work. I am having a local shop do a 3 angle valve job, surface the deck, replace the seals, and set the springs after i get done. I realize that alot of work is not needed and i was only going to do some slight port/polish work in the bowl, intake and exhaust sides. Any tips on good spots to do. Not looking for alot here just trying to fix a few negative spots in the flow of the heads. Any info is greatly appreciated and any pics if possible of stage 1 ported heads will help too. Thanks agian, James.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Porting Ls1 Heads

Hey I ported my own heads just as you are going to do.

He is what I would have done differently.

First off don't let a local shop or non LS1 shop set up your valves and seats. Spend the extra money and send them to someone who has done LS1's before. TEA had a good article at the Ford Mall website about how important valve backcuts, seat angles and angle widths are.

Also I bought Ferrea valves for my heads and let a local shop set them up. The money I would have saved by using stock valves would have paid for a pro to set them up.

End result I gained 21 rwhp and spent about 50 hours porting and approx. $800 in machine work and parts. This was my first time porting car heads.

I will probably pull the heads again at some point and send them to a pro.

<small>[ August 01, 2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Speed Demon ]</small>