Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Swap Pointers

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Swap Pointers

Hey guys I have been on LS1howto and looked through some old posts and some new posts. I'm thinkin bout swaping my cam out for a G5X4.....I will be gettin an ls6 intake cuz i cant afford the 90/90 combo but anyway that being said do you have any pointers as far as doin the swap it will be my first swap and anythin would be appreciated as well as problem areas you guys had and what to watch out for, tips, tricks of the trade. thanks alot guys

Old 02-25-2007, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Take your time.
Take pictures if you want/can to remember how things were before you dismantled them.
String around the oil pickup tube bolt is a nice trick, also works with sock/rag/towel in the oil pan.

I wish there was a perfect solution for holding up the lifters, but I've never read anything but the $80 tool working 100%, that being said, its nice to have a camera to see if any lifters are hanging too low in the nerveracking event that your cam gets hung up on something.

Other than that the double spring changing tool from Crane is nice to have, i sprung for that, as I'm going to have to replace my springs in so many miles anyway, why not make it easier in the future and now.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to extract some more information....

Is it necessary to discharge the AC and remove the condenser?? or can everything be worked around??
Old 02-25-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Formulated

Is it necessary to discharge the AC and remove the condenser?? or can everything be worked around??
No discharge required.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Formulated

Yes and NO.

You can do it by moving the whole thing with pipes on, out of the way but if you pry too hard, you can kink a line and discarge it any ways.

If $$ is not a big issues, to discharge is a good idea so not to bend anything.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

Anything else??? how bout using the dowels to hold the lifters up??? some say yes and others say no? all that 90 tool is, is about the same principle right? also any tips when it comes to gettin the crank pulley on/off from reading old posts this sounds like a total PITA....

thanks for all the info guys
Old 02-26-2007, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

check out ls1howto.com they have a really good write up there....
Old 02-26-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to the stickies in this section between installuniversity and ls1howto and the stickies you will have a ton of info ..if ya get hung up during the install just post up here and you will get plenty of help, encouragment, and advise...
Old 02-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowMonster87
Anything else??? how bout using the dowels to hold the lifters up??? some say yes and others say no? all that 90 tool is, is about the same principle right? also any tips when it comes to gettin the crank pulley on/off from reading old posts this sounds like a total PITA....

thanks for all the info guys
I rent out the tools: jpr rods, crane dual spring tool and the air fitting for the cylinder to pressurize to keep the valves up. pm me for details
Old 02-26-2007, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I rent out the tools: jpr rods, crane dual spring tool and the air fitting for the cylinder to pressurize to keep the valves up. pm me for details

cant i just use wooden dowels like others have said to keep the lifters up and use push rods on the spark plug hole for the valves or am i wrong?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Banned

Some have had bad luck and will never use wooden dowels again. Some use the russian roulette method and have no trouble. You can use what you want. I'm saying I have the tools for rent to anyone who wants them.

I like real tools that dont splinter or break. The rods are also bevelled on one side. They arent round. I suspect this would have helped Cashss99 when he had homeade rods and had to get a wooden dowel to finish. He tried making his own rods and it wouldnt go all the way in. He got lucky and had the wooden one work for him.

I've never heard of putting pushrods on the spark plug hole?? Pushrods are skinnier than the spark plug hole. Is that supposed to keep the pressure in the cylinder? Some also dont use anything to hold the valves up. All kinds of ways to "cheat" but when cheating goes bad its a giant PIA compared to doing it right.
Its up to you.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

TIP: Rip her apart and GIT-R-DONE!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS

I've never heard of putting pushrods on the spark plug hole?? Pushrods are skinnier than the spark plug hole. Is that supposed to keep the pressure in the cylinder? Some also dont use anything to hold the valves up. All kinds of ways to "cheat" but when cheating goes bad its a giant PIA compared to doing it right.
Its up to you.
when i read that what i got from it was this; the push rod will tell you when the piston starts reaching or has reached tcd, so if the valves do fall when the cylinder is at tdc they won't drop all the way in the cylinder.......
Old 02-26-2007, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
when i read that what i got from it was this; the push rod will tell you when the piston starts reaching or has reached tcd, so if the valves do fall when the cylinder is at tdc they won't drop all the way in the cylinder.......

right i thought that was how it was explained to me before to but thats why i wanted to get more advice on whta that really meant....isnt tha wher you get tdc do certain cylinders then 90* and do more cylinders and then 90* and so on?? not to clear on that method
Old 02-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Banned

Well if your only tring to find the piston you can use anything long enough doesnt have to be a pushrod. lol I thought there was some magical thing that was supposed to happen
Old 02-27-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

to put the crank pulley back on, pick up one of the tools that 918hawk sells. send him a PM and he can get you some pics. Worked great for me, made putting the crank pulley back on a breeze. As for holding up the lifters, i used the $90 JPR tool. I had a ton of "thunder bucks" from thunder racing so it only ended up costing my like $25. It worked great though.