Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about N2O pistons and CR

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about N2O pistons and CR

Ok, this may be a really vague question, but I have Ross nitrous pistons and heads that were milled for 10.8 CR with stock pistons and GM head gaskets. What would my compression ratio possibly be? What shape is the top of the piston?

And what makes a nitrous piston a nitrous piston? What if I were to put a blower on? Would a nitrous piston still be good to go? Thanks!
Old 08-09-2002, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Question about N2O pistons and CR

I can tell you this: Nitrous pistons are designed to have lower ringlands from the top of the piston. This keeps the rings a little further away from the extra heat that nitrous produces in the cylinder.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:06 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since both nitrous and S/C pistons are forged, you could use nitrous pistons in a S/C application if, and that is a big if, they give an low enough compression level. The biggest difference is what Big Mike said, " Nitrous pistons are designed to have lower ringlands from the top of the piston".
Old 08-09-2002, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

In a nitrous application the ring gap and type are different as well to prevent "Butting" of the rings under spray.
Affects NA performance very slighty
Cheers,
Chris
Old 08-09-2002, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ls1290:
<strong>Since both nitrous and S/C pistons are forged, you could use nitrous pistons in a S/C application if, and that is a big if, they give an low enough compression level. The biggest difference is what Big Mike said, " Nitrous pistons are designed to have lower ringlands from the top of the piston".</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cool, so it sounds like rings are definately a big difference. But what about the shape of the piston top? I'm curious how that would affect the CR. Thanks!