Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does no one run stage 3 heads? $$ issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why does no one run stage 3 heads? $$ issue?

I know stage 3 heads cost a buttload. Is that why I see almost no one running them? Are they too much head for the street? How much more power would they make on a stroker over S2's? I guess I just want to know the deal with them in general.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:27 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Why does no one run stage 3 heads? $$ issue?

I think most companies stage 3 heads are just stage 2 heads with the combustion chamber opened up for bigger bores.

There may also be some reshaping done to the ports(welding) but, I think that's more of an option that can be done for any head/motor combo, not just big bore motors.

John
Old 08-16-2002, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 11 Bravo:
<strong>I know stage 3 heads cost a buttload. Is that why I see almost no one running them? Are they too much head for the street? How much more power would they make on a stroker over S2's? I guess I just want to know the deal with them in general.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No problem with them at all on the street. Very, very civil. Remember that even heads with insane flow number still flow at a rate determined by the cam, valve sizes, displacement, and (obviously) the throttle blade position.

They do cost more, but the HP/torque gain is worth it, provided the shop doing the head porting ports well.

Most people with the stroker/big bore motors are running the stage III heads.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:44 PM
Resident Grump

Please define stage 3.... Really I see the stage 1, 2 and 3 term thrown around and I've yet to understand what the differences are. I've got a pretty good set of heads but I don't know what stage they are.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

because most people cant take advantage of a stage III head cuz they dont have an intake to flow enough air that the head is capable of using