Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your advice about my cam install....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need your advice about my cam install....

I have a '98 A4 with 3.15's I'm getting a TR 224/114 put in this Thursday by Speedtek in D/FW, they told me that most of the LS1's they put this cam in don't need to get the PCM reprogrammed to raise the idle speed etc. He said that they have done quite a few of these and the greater majority don't need it. My question is, are there any of you out there that have this cam that didn't need to do the programming? Should I get Ed Wright to do it or should I save the money for another mod if I don't "need" it?

<small>[ August 19, 2002, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Carlos ]</small>
Old 08-19-2002, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Need your advice about my cam install....

I have a similar cam in an 01 A4 without tuning.All I did was drill the TB hole out 2 sizes and when i had the TB off I flipped the screw over so the idle could be adjusted easier.It can be a pain sometimes to start when warm.Unless you changed your rev limiter with a HPP3 you'll lose a few hundred useful RPM's.Torque Management sucks butt too but I have had thet since the converter and shift kit went in.Try it and see if you like it and decide.I jumped in on someones LS1_edit just waiting for him to get it back.Not a bad idea if you can find someone near you that will let you use it,and cheaper.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I had heard about drilling a hole in the TB, but I also heard that it was a temporary fix and that the PCM will learn and compensate for it, taking you back to square one. I wouldn't mind saving $500 and not getting any tuning done, but if it'll make a big difference, I might as well do it. My idle right now is 700 in Drive and in Park, would this be too low for the TR 224/114?
Old 08-20-2002, 07:19 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Before tuning: 377RWHP, aborted dyno run and lots of detonation with an A/F that was off the charts

After tuning: 403RWHP and flawless A/F

It's only a couple hundred bucks to get a good dyno tune which is better than blowing your motor. You'll find out if you're getting enough fuel (in my case I was not) and can make adjustments accordingly. That way you can't be depressed when you say the cam isn't everything you'd thought it would be.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

You won't need tuning. Not to say you won't benefit from IN-HOUSE (read as NOT MAIL ORDER) tuning, but there are prolly some better mods to go for right now. Get it tuned when you are set with the mods you have for a while.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go with a good dyno tune cause you need to tune it at wot and that is the only way to do it...get to rpm limit raised to 6600rpms and find a shop with the ls-1 edit that will let you come back for updates when you do gears etc...