Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you guys upgraded your heads....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When you guys upgraded your heads....

did you send your own heads to the shop to be ported/machined? Or did you just order heads and send back your core after the install?

I would think that once the heads were ported by the shop, they would flow just as well if they were your original ones as if they weren't, but has anyone ever had any issues with this?

My car is a daily driver, so when I finally buy heads, I'd rather just be able to swap them on, rather than having my car in pieces for an extended period of time while I wait for MY heads to come back. But I'll send in mine if it's common to see "issues" with vendor-supplied heads.

Your thoughts?
Old 09-13-2002, 08:24 AM
SSU Moderator

Default Re: When you guys upgraded your heads....

if you've ever bought an alternator or likewise at Pep Boys, you should be familiar with the 'core' system. you buy a set of heads for x-amount plus core charge. when you send your stockers to the shop you bought your heads from, you get refunded the core charge (as long as they are usable core's of course).

you could always buy a set of core's used. there's some in the classified every once in a while for a couple hundred bucks. sometimes its worth not having that crap charged to your CC or dealing with the hassle. especially if you want 6.0 heads or LS6 heads or something that would cost extra anyway.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: When you guys upgraded your heads....

buy a set, then send em in, then sell yours after if you want to..