Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

old schooler needs help with lsx questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old schooler needs help with lsx questions

first things first....this forum is a great place to get helpful info and everyone seems to be true. now down to buss....i have a 98 camaro with a v6 i want to race...so being a old schooler i decided to build at bbc to put into it...now i am having second thoughts about the bbc install. i have several peices of the new gen motor.. L92 heads and a new in crate Ls2 block, kooks 1 7/8 long tube race headers...L92 intake...etc. i like the power of the bbc but i do not like the tight fit nor the weight on the frontend....any ideas on a setup for the Ls2 block??? or should i just say the hell with it and put the 496 bbc in it...help guys.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

im an old schooler too, and IMO it will be a hell of a lot easier to go with the LS parts then the BBC. you can make the LS crazy powerful and still DD it where as with the BBC you with be suckin gas andkilling the handling of that car with all the weight up front. also it will be a lot easier to mod it with the LS motor, wont have to fab anything really. id just do the basics with the LS block, H/C, headers like what you got already, TC if its an auto, and gears. cant go wrong with any of that.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Go with the new one. They can surpass a BB very easily, and you would already be that far ahead of the game starting with an LS2. A small cam and the bolt ons will get you at a minimum VERY close to 500 bhp. And its still an aluminum mill. Dont let the fuel injection scare ya, its not as complicated as it looks.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

there are like 10,000 LSx camaros on this site. only a handfull of big blocks.. if you got the cash do the big block.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If money is no object, I would stroke the LS2 to 402 using low compression pistons and slap a blower on that bad boy. Make 800 at the wheels all day long with about 15 PSI. Of course you would have to beef up the fuel delivery.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

my friend built a fuel injected 468 BBC. theres a reason why he went with that instead of building a small block.

if youre making a race car..just put a BBC in. parts are the same cost, but theres more payoff.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ping King
but theres more payoff.
How do you figure?

You can keep it small block, stroke it out, or just go 402, and with the necesarry mods, make over a 1000 hp. Then its still a lightweight small block between your fenders. And to top it off, a 402 is going to safely rev higher that a 468.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Because you can make 800 hp with an all motor big block with the right heads, cam, and displacement
Old 03-13-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Because you can make 800 hp with an all motor big block with the right heads, cam, and displacement
And youre crazy if you think they dont do this on LSx platforms.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

do a search and show me an all motor LSX motor. And when you do...find the bottom line price on it. I can assure you that building a big inch big block is going to be cheaper.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont forget the filthy underwear soiling torque
Old 03-16-2007, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

BBC has more potential than the LSx. the problem is the money involved. LSx parts and BBC parts are probably on about the same playing field, with a SBC being much less cost involved in building.

id rather build a $15k BBC than a $15k LSx...
Old 03-16-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

do a search and show me an all motor LSX motor. And when you do...find the bottom line price on it. I can assure you that building a big inch big block is going to be cheaper.
Dont have to look far...look at the T56Rebuilds car...9.3 all motor and a 6 speed.

Ill agree only that if you are all out ***** to the wall, the BB probably holds a little more in it, and thats even in the air now becuse of the new LSX block. But reliablity, driveability, all going to be better on the LSx platforms. They make plenty torque, and they rev alot higher, so they have a longer powerband. Bigger is not always better.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:07 PM

Guys don't forget this is an LS1 forum. You better not even think about mentioning how a 632ci BBC that makes a lowly 1.55hp/cube (easy & realistic) could make 980 hp at the motor.

Ben T.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Dont have to look far...look at the T56Rebuilds car...9.3 all motor and a 6 speed.

Ill agree only that if you are all out ***** to the wall, the BB probably holds a little more in it, and thats even in the air now becuse of the new LSX block. But reliablity, driveability, all going to be better on the LSx platforms. They make plenty torque, and they rev alot higher, so they have a longer powerband. Bigger is not always better.
yes. but remember that worn out cliche "theres no replacement for displacement." yes you can run that speed, but hows the powerband, wheres the torque come in? hows the driveability? you can also make money with a big block by charging people for demolition. Just back up to their house, tie a tow strap to your rear axle and pull a house off of its foundation.

I plan on posting up videos of this EFI 468 BBC that im helping a friend with. came out of a car that ran 9.40s reliably.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

You know, this topic isnt really goin bad, but the problem here is we kind of went off into all out motors, when the topic starter didnt even say what his goals were, or hasnt even replied again in this thread.

Ive done both small and big blocks, and have been doing the Gen III thing for a while. Both can be done up really well, but the new stuff is usually always in my preference. Technology has brought these new Gens up to par with just about everything, and they are just constantly getting faster and better.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

like i said, they easiest most cost efective option would be to go with the LS2. they are stout enough as it is with 400hp and it doesnt take much to get them to rip the drivetrain apart with shear power if built right, you are gonna have to do a lot of modifications to that car to prep it for the BBC. if the amount of labor is no issue then go with a BB. but if you want to make a simple street car that can run with the high hp dragsters and still get you over 20mpg on the way to work or the grocery store, go with the LS2.