Daily Driver: N/A 400-450 HP *RELIABLE*

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimery

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Shell out for top of the line heads. The better the heads, the milder and more DD friendly of a cam you can run to reach your goals. Also the cheaper heads usually have muge larger intake runners to achieve their flow. Nothing wrong with that, they are proven performers and in big cam combos or high-stalled autos probably worth the $$$ savings. But for a mild DD combo cheap heads usually = poor throttle response compared to AFR, TFS, etc.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by will82
Shell out for top of the line heads. The better the heads, the milder and more DD friendly of a cam you can run to reach your goals. Also the cheaper heads usually have muge larger intake runners to achieve their flow. Nothing wrong with that, they are proven performers and in big cam combos or high-stalled autos probably worth the $$$ savings. But for a mild DD combo cheap heads usually = poor throttle response compared to AFR, TFS, etc.

NOT TRUE.

You dont need to shell out big bucks for heads for a street car. People who care about 1/10 of a second need to shell out big bucks so they can get down the track quicker.
Big intake runners can make for slower velocity but if your not racing it doesnt matter to you.

Texas Speeds runners on their 5.3 liter heads are no longer 229. The are smaller and that is one of the best bang for buck heads out there. Why dump $2000 or more on heads when you dont need them. tr224 112 lsa and prc stage 2.5 5.3 ltr heads will rock in this application.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
NOT TRUE.
I've FELT the difference. Throttle response is better with the better heads. The original poster might not mind the difference, but it is there. I'm not what you would call a "racer" and slower velocity and throttle response would matter to me. (your admission of slower velocity confirms the accuracy of my observation about throttle responce by the way.) The original poster can decide how much it matters to him. You don't need to shell out ANY money for ANYTHING on a street car. It's all about preferences, and there are differing performance characteristics between the types of heads.

My observation that better heads = faster car with all else being equal, as well as my observation that better heads = better throttle response are both TRUE. But don't take my word for it, let the dyno numbers and real life performance of the AFRs and TFSs of the world speak for themselves.

I'm out.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Better does not mean bigger or more $$ in every circumstance. If you want a small high velocity runner head there are a few options you can choose from that vary in price and performance.

You guys are arguing the differences between two different things.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

My observation that better heads = faster car with all else being equal, as well as my observation that better heads = better throttle response are both TRUE. But don't take my word for it, let the dyno numbers and real life performance of the AFRs and TFSs of the world speak for themselves.
With all else being equal. Meaning a ported FAST manifold, a ported 90mm TB, a more radical cam would be needed to match the heads. Higher lift means the springs will be wearing out faster. Which would compromise reliability. And it would lose torque and cost a lot of cash. Buying the most expensive heads is worth it if you are going max effort, otherwise you are wasting money.

And it doesn't guarantee better throttle response. It depends on the tune and all supporting mods.

Observations are not facts. Do AFR and TFS setups make more power? Typically, yes. But some guys were switching out to FAST manifolds and actually losing power. Probably because the heads and cam weren't big enough to utilize the extra flow. Take a look at the archives. I'm not bashing, I'm just stating what is in the past.

Bottom line, he doesn't need something that elaborate. One of his goals was reliability, and I don't think he wants to be changing out valvesprings every 20K. PRC heads, a moderate cam, headers and clutch would work fine.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've FELT the difference. Throttle response is better with the better heads. The original poster might not mind the difference, but it is there. I'm not what you would call a "racer" and slower velocity and throttle response would matter to me. (your admission of slower velocity confirms the accuracy of my observation about throttle responce by the way.) The original poster can decide how much it matters to him. You don't need to shell out ANY money for ANYTHING on a street car. It's all about preferences, and there are differing performance characteristics between the types of heads.

I'm out.
I never once said they were slower did I. Dont put words into my mouth. I said that 1/10th of a sec isnt a big difference on the street. I have had both heads under my foot, have you? I know the difference from experience and I'm telling you right now from experience that the PRC stage 2.5 5.3 liter head is evey bit as good as the AFR for this guy's goals.

He isnt looking for a max effort combination

Slow throttle response is due to the cam being to big and not enough gear. tfs heads are 215 and afr's are 205 and which is putting out the better numbers? Its the combination that makes the difference.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

If moneys no object the AFR's are a great head design and great for streetability.

That said if money is an object the stage II heads are also a great choice.

They run great drivability and power. Just not the absolute most etc...

With a mild cam and a good set of cnc'd heads you'd have a powerful and civilizied machine.

If it were me? i'd go for the TSP heads. Good product great price that I've been eyeballing for my car.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

It really depends on the heads... A car with a similar cam to my wife's with ETP 215s did 435rwhp, whereas we have touched up AS Stage II 241s, and did 440rwhp on the exact same dyno. Both cars have 90/90 setups and full bolt-ons (barring the lack of a EWP on the wife's Camaro). Sometimes you just luck out!

Quick Reply: Daily Driver: N/A 400-450 HP *RELIABLE*