Sponsored by:

Preparation for MTI S2 heads/cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Preparation for MTI S2 heads/cam

All you H/C guys out there help!

Please offer your suggestions on preparation for stage 2 heads/cam for a street driven car. For example, should I go true dual exhaust, get an ls6 intake, beef up the tranny (manual of course), get a timing chain, etc....

I'd like to also know what went out after your h/c install so that I might purchase and install those parts ahead of time.

Thanks all.

Russ
Old 09-24-2002, 04:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Preparation for MTI S2 heads/cam

Heads/Cam "Daily-Driver" setup huh?

camshaft with less than 224 intake duration
FLP longtubes with removable cats
3" cutout
quiet 3" catback like the SLP dual-dual
stock timing chain is okay

you will want a new clutch. Ram, Cartek, and McLeod Rev-Lok are all working well. Plan on a 12-bolt rearend if you want to drag race on slicks.

-Tony
Old 09-24-2002, 05:04 PM
!Dial-up Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 224 cam is really streetable, I can see going more and still being OK. The main thing that affects drivability IMO are loudness and clutch. A true dual setup will be loud inside the car moreso then a rear exiting exhaust. However if you get the FLPs and leave the cats on AND have a set of mufflers in line it should be OK. You are going to need a strong clutch. A SPEC stage 3 or a Mcleod single disk kevlar/organic clutch would be very drivable. T-56 is plenty strong for heads/cam just don't miss a gear! Timing chain upgrade is a good idea. You can either get a Rollmaster double chain or a Jwiss single replacement. Ls6 intake will be worth ~10rwhp at peak. LS1 edit would also be a good idea to work out the tuning problems and turn off some trouble codes ( AIR, EGR, misfire code, MAF high frequency, etc..).

Justin
Old 09-24-2002, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the input so far. I don't ever plan on launching on slicks (nitto's at most). I do want to maintain absolute daily driveability without stalls on deceleration or with the a/c running.

Sounds like a clutch (mcleod) is probably in order and definitely a good short throw shifter to help keep away any mis-shifts.

I was thinking of maybe keeping the stock exhaust and adding cutouts for when I want to do the occassional all-out acceleration. Also planning on having MTI do the whole dyno tune to keep things in-line.

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks as always,

Russ
Old 09-24-2002, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Search my usernumber in this forum. I posted about this a while back.

-Nick