Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads Cam Suggestion for my setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Heads Cam Suggestion for my setup

well... it's getting close to the time where the TA goes away... so I need to figure out what I'm doing this winter.

Here's the plan:

Headers - undecided
ARE Oil Pump
LS6 Intake
SLP Double Timing Chain

Heads -- RGR Stage 2 2.02/1.57 valves ??? do I even need stage 2 with stock LS6 intake? Should I go GTP? or ARE?
Cam -- .563/.563 224/224/112 Comp Cams ??? sound good? Should I go more duration? More lift?
Comp cam springs -- 941s
Chromoly Push Rods
New Lifters and Rocker Arms (stock ratio... 1.6?) (I'm replacing the entire valve train other than the valves)

I want around 400 rwhp. Also I don't care about making power past 6500RPM as I don't want to rev past that point (I know some people spin there motors up to 7000 but I'd rather not spin it that high).

So for those with Heads/Cam and making ~400Rwhp on an LS1 (stock bottom end) what package did you get?

Anyone have any suggestions on a good package to try?

LS6 ported heads or LS1 ported heads?

I'm looking at a max of about 5000-6000 for all that's listed above if it helps (prefer to do labor/install myself)

One other thing to keep in mind, I want to make good power NA, but I also want to be able to spray the car with say a 75 dry shot. (but not until I do some fuel system upgrades)

Thanks for any suggestions

One thing to note , emissions aren't an issue.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Heads Cam Suggestion for my setup

MTI Stage 2 or GTP stage 2 heads and something like MTI's X1 cam should put you around 430 to 440 rwhp thats with LS1 edit tunning Hooker long tubes are good but cheap maybe a true duel setup if im leaving anything out please jump in.
Jimmy
Old 09-26-2002, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're not planning to spin the engine past 6500 RPMs, there's no need for a tremendous amount of duration. With stock displacement, you won't benefit that much from the bigger valves, either. If you're going to spray, most guys prefer a 114 LSA, but w/ a mild dry shot, it shouldn't make that much difference.

IMHO, what you need to do is select a matched heads/cam package that is suitable w/ your other mods. If you have access to a "desktop dyno" s/w package, you can simulate various combos before you buy.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by HITMANSS:
<strong>If you're not planning to spin the engine past 6500 RPMs, there's no need for a tremendous amount of duration. With stock displacement, you won't benefit that much from the bigger valves, either. If you're going to spray, most guys prefer a 114 LSA, but w/ a mild dry shot, it shouldn't make that much difference.

IMHO, what you need to do is select a matched heads/cam package that is suitable w/ your other mods. If you have access to a "desktop dyno" s/w package, you can simulate various combos before you buy.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">do you know if Motion-PC Dyno2000 v.3.10 is a decent desktop dyno software? If not are there any out there that you know of that are pretty decent?