Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: peak hp, or under the curve hp
Peak HP
11.60%
Under the curve
88.40%
Voters: 457. You may not vote on this poll

peak horse power, or under the curve power! what do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_z28_m6
Maybe a little off topic but here is something to think about.
Something I learned in 4 yrs of Hp motorsports in college.
Horsepower = torque x RPM / 5252 Thats the formula
Torque is a measurement of twisting force
Horsepower is the amount of work that can be acomplished.

Horsepower is where its at. Torque can be raised with gearing. Horsepower cannot.

Examples.

456 hp semi engine
456 hp and 1200 ft lbs @ 2000 rpm

456 hp small block
456 hp and 400 ft lbs at 6000 rpm

Gear the small block with 3x the gearing and you have the same tq # at the same rpm as the diesel. - the loss of power in the gears but you get the point.
Granted the torque curves will be different. But for those who didnt know how hp is calculated now you know.
that is a very irrational way to look at it, even on a dyno, it will calculate the gear ratio out of the equation...so by tq multiplication you may effectively have a similar setup, but in reality you do not, #1 diesel engines dont pull rpms...plus gearing effects acceleration and everything else. but you did not factor in tire height as well...that effects the overall gear ratio and the over all tq multiplication of your method...maybe you should be more thorough and actually compare apples to apples, what you said is not entirely true...you WONT have the same tq at the same RPM because you dont measure it like that, if that were so, then you could gear a car from 2.73 to 4.56 and see astronomical results...get your figures straight first...the only thing you said that was relevant was the formula and that has been said already

gear ratio has nothing to do with the power output of your engine and is not even pertinent to the conversation the OP started...

Last edited by gectek; 08-20-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gectek
that is a very irrational way to look at it, even on a dyno, it will calculate the gear ratio out of the equation...so by tq multiplication you may effectively have a similar setup, but in reality you do not, #1 diesel engines dont pull rpms...plus gearing effects acceleration and everything else. but you did not factor in tire height as well...that effects the overall gear ratio and the over all tq multiplication of your method...maybe you should be more thorough and actually compare apples to apples, what you said is not entirely true...you WONT have the same tq at the same RPM because you dont measure it like that, if that were so, then you could gear a car from 2.73 to 4.56 and see astronomical results...get your figures straight first...the only thing you said that was relevant was the formula and that has been said already

gear ratio has nothing to do with the power output of your engine and is not even pertinent to the conversation the OP started...
I have my facts straight. You completely missed my point. I was showing that for an example of how horsepower is figured. Did I say that they would be just as fast or pull just as good or have an average hp that was the same NO.
If you gear a car from a 2.73 to a 4.56 the car will have more torque at the wheels but at a slower speed. The horsepower will still be the same. Other than the difference in frictional losses.
By the way swap some 2.73s to a set of 4.56s you will see a huge difference in how the car pulls.
Simple auto math not rocket science.

Last edited by 2002_z28_m6; 08-20-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have my facts straight. You completely missed my point. I was showing that for an example of how horsepower is figured. Did I say that they would be just as fast or pull just as good or have an average hp that was the same NO.
If you gear a car from a 2.73 to a 4.56 the car will have more torque at the wheels but at a slower speed. The horsepower will still be the same. Other than the difference in frictional losses.
Dont over think this. Its simple auto match its not rocket science.
oh please you were the one trying to match up tq from a diesel to a gas engine, trying to flex your math skills...tq at the wheels isnt what is being talked about even...although that is the end result, why dont you factor in the converter loss as well then or the tire height...those effect it as well. PLUS no power curve is linear like that. you will have more tq at the wheels, i was not denying that, but you wont be able to measure it on a dyno...you will also have quicker acceleration, measured on the track, but that doesnt matter when you start off comparing apples to jumbo jets.

gear ratio isnt going to effect power under the curve. neither is HP or TQ at one rpm. power under the curve was determined earlier being between x and 5252, most diesels wont pull that, so why compare them in the first place...what you said is irrelevant and it all fell apart anyway and you are just upset because i busted your 4yrs of HP education ego bubble...
you were the one trying to spout out "simple" math that your learned brain can only comprehend
Old 08-20-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Given that I spend most of my time driving under the peak HP rpm for my car (6400 rpm), I prefer more power under the curve.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can we just have both...
Old 08-20-2008, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Gectek you have alot to learn. You and your 3 posts should go hang out in an import forum.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Given that I spend most of my time driving under the peak HP rpm for my car (6400 rpm), I prefer more power under the curve.
Wow what intake do you have that peaks that high?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gectek you have alot to learn. You and your 3 posts should go hang out in an import forum.
yah srry not a noob, you dont even know me, so before you go an pull out your text book to learn me on what a noob i am, get your stuff straight first, then ACTUALLY know what you are talking about. Just because i have 3 posts on here then that doesnt mean im a noob, you are the one that pulls out your ricer math and starts to spout off from the wrong end of your mirror belt buckle...i have farts that have more thought put in to them than your posts do

besides it only too me 3 posts to pwn you anyway

Last edited by gectek; 08-20-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

If you use the term "pwn" you are automatically disqualified from being taken seriously as an adult.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i dont need to be taken seriously as an adult on here...and i dont need you to validate what i am saying either...he was wrong [/rant]
Old 08-20-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well seriously though, area under the curve is where it is at...peak power is nice, but from off idle to roughly 6k is going to be the best for all around street driving, but i see what the other guys mean in staying at "peak power" but why would you want peak at the beginning of every shift from 2 on when you get out of peak so soon, why not have a shift go into the broader and higher range of the power band and keep on from there, that way you have more usable area for street driving/urban combat. everyone runs slower on the street anyway, and as well they should, because it isnt always you or the cops you have to watch for, its the other people on the road that dont know you are in full out Mr Hyde mode...
and HP is how fast you get to the wall, TQ is how far you take the wall with you
Old 08-20-2008, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah there is my explaination of the true definition of Horsepower. Then you have gectek the redneck giving his explanation "HP is how fast you get to the wall, TQ is how far you take the wall with you" Last time I raced I was trying to avoid walls not get to them and take them with me. Seriously
Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 AM
10 Second Club

Shift, people. Shift. Put your curve where you want it. Is this such a difficult concept?
75% of the people talking "power under the curve" in this thread are just parroting it and don't even know how their curve even works with their gears and where to shift.

Quick Reply: peak horse power, or under the curve power! what do you prefer?