Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads and cam package

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads and cam package

I been looking around for the best deal in ported heads and cam(in hp gain,price,reliability) and didn't get to a conclusion.I don't know anything about specs whatsoever.So here it goes, which is the best package out there that can be put on a car that is daily driven and that has to remain very reliable.Should i just go with a cam? Reliability is my main concern. I'm looking to 430 hp and above. Please let me know guys.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Heads and cam package

the offerings from gtp, mti and are along with mms seem to be doing great. jpr and tea have offerings to get you what you want also.

contact them and or ask around localy with people you meet or know, find out what you want and do it.

steve frank
Old 09-28-2002, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

MMS has a great sale going on right now, my MMS heads/cam put out 446rwhp and run 10.87@127!
Old 09-28-2002, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Teryy you need to tell him thnat you have a converter too! The converter is just as good of a mod as the H/C, wouldn't you agree! Weight also has a lot to do with it! I would say ARE, MTI, MMS, CARTEK, GTP, JPR all have great products. TEA has good heads for a good price. I would stay away from SLP engine products though, they tends to be conservative on the power out-put and cost $$$. Also the TPIS and LPE H/C are expensive and don't put out as much power as other shops for less $$$! Key here is go with proven combos and CUSTOMER SERVICE! If you are installing the parts yourself go with whom ever you choose but if you plan to have them do the install too and I choose a GOOD PROVEN shop thats most local to you!
Old 09-29-2002, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

If the car is daily driven and has to remain reliable: STAY STOCK!

There isn't a joker in here who hasn't modded their car and broken something. Once you install 50-100 (or more) hp, you can't go back! There is no warranty and there is less reliability than if ya just leave it alone.

That said, if yer actually hell-bent on modding yer car, spend that first $1500-2000 & buy yerself a daily driver beater!! There are plenty of econoboxes out there that are (probably more) reliable for a daily driver.

Aftermarket components that generate decent hp are harder on all the surrounding items. These fail and then yer stuck. Take yer time, buy the beater and then no (well, fewer anyway) worries.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice! What do you all think about this heads? They're up for auction at ebay.com . Does it sound good?Here's the description:
NEW fully ported LS1 casting (perimeter bolt) assembled with all new GM valves (2.00/1.55)springs,locks, retainers,and seals. Simply the finest set of ported heads available for your LS1, dont pay $1495, $2000, or more for a fancy name. Check our feedback and references are available. Heads flow 286/219 @.600",(Superflow 600 @28")and every head is pressure checked before shipping. NO JUNK! We have over 15 years porting at the pro level with competition proven results in NASCAR, NHRA, Touring Car, Pro 5.0 and many more. Dont be fooled into overinflated CNC claims, a CNC ported head is only as good as the master port design and is finished by hand 90% of the time. Take a look and compare to the others that are out there. We can also port your casting, e-mail for info. Heads can be milled up to .030
Old 10-01-2002, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Where can i get the MMS heads? And again what do you all think of the above stated description on the heads on ebay. i like the price 1,000 bucks.
Please let me know