Sponsored by:

Engine rebuild questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild questions...

Hi all,

Unfortunately my first post here is about my engine that I have to rebuild (or maybe replace). I'm looking for some advice before I start doing anything stupid (though I may already have).

Background:
The car is fairly stock. I have a GMS MAF, the free ram air mod, an after market lid, and a B&B catback. Nothing major. I was driving it home when about a mile out, the oil pressure dropped to almost nothing for a split second and then it sat at about 15 psi at best until I got home. Long story short, I have a scored crank. I haven't cracked it open just yet, so I don't know what other damage I have in there (maybe a scored block, I don't know yet).

Anyway, I have the engine sitting in my garage right now, along with the K-member and A-Arms and the transmission. It's an M6 by the way. I've convinced myself that I can do the rebuild, but that remains to be seen. I've asked around a little bit on LS1.com for some advice, but I thought I would try here too.

I've been thinking about rebuilding it as a 382 stroker (all stroke I believe is what I'm wanting to do, I don't want to change the bore, yet). I'm just looking for advice from people who may have been there, and done that.

What I want is a good strong motor that will be a little more fun than a stock LS1. I don't have an endless supply of money, so I can go all out on everything. But I don't want to short-change myself and pay the price down the road. I haven't ever taken it to a drag strip, but I've gotten on it on the street here and there (who hasn't). I'm not planning on making it a pure drag car, but I may take it down there a few times once it's fixed.

So, if I go with an all-stroke 382 kit, what else should I do while I've got it all apart? I'm sure doing heads/cam is a "would be extremely nice" if not a must. What about the stock LS1 intake manifold? Could I get away with it or would it be worth the cost to get the LS6 manifold? What about headers? Would I be limiting the larger cube engine too much by staying with the stock headers?

If doing the Stroker right is going to cost too much (or more than I can swing), is there another way to go with a stock rebuild and just upgrading heads/cam?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Erik
Old 10-01-2002, 03:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,139 Likes on 740 Posts

Default Re: Engine rebuild questions...

New crank will require you run different size rods, you can hit $4,000 quickly just buying the rotating assembly.

If I went 382ci, I'd do heads, headers and LS6 intake too. LS6 intake is a total no-brainer and it's even better on a larger motor.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Question about the LS6 intake...

I have a 98 LS1. Will I need to reprogram the computer if I put the LS6 intake on it? Isn't there an issue with the EGR when going from 98-99 to 2000+?

Just checking, and thanks for the replies!
Old 10-01-2002, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Another question...

Would it be better to rebuild the bottom end with forged parts, but keep the bore and stroke the same as stock? Would I even save money doing this, and if so, would it be a noticable amount?

I'm thinking that if I'm going to go with forged pistions and crank, I might as well get the Lunati 382 kit.

You can never have too much information....maybe...
Old 10-01-2002, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,139 Likes on 740 Posts

Well you will get an EGR ses lite and the car will run okay but you can get it programmed out.