Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on a Cam Swap (come and give your opinion)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on a Cam Swap (come and give your opinion)

My Car:
2002 Z28
Pacesetter Lt, ORY, LM1, K&N FIPK, Yank ss3600, Stock 3.23, this is a DD

I was thinking about going with the tsp 224R or the tsp 228R. I want to go with a 114lsa, because I do not want a choppy idle. Also, what is the difference in the tsp 224R and the tsp 224 XE? I was going to get the kit so It will include new springs and pushrods.

The Sticky said to match the converter and stall. Are those a good choice with my ss3600, if not say so. I am also aware that I will not be the fastest ls1 or the most powerful, and I dont want to be. I want a nice pickup over a stock cam, and something that is relatively smooth. I would like to see something like 365rwhp. I am also thinking about getting a new pulley and a ls2 timing chain, good ideas? btw, I will be getting it tuned as soon as the install is done (part of the reason I am doing the swap).
Old 03-20-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the 228 dur. cam bc it will be the best performer of the 2. It will be a great mid range cam and should pull all the way up the rpmsand I think they peak at like 6-6200 but im not for sure. I know they make great low end torque and also with the size of the cam it should hold its own up top.

To be honest a 3600 will prob be overstalling the cam, more than likely. If it were me i would send it back and have it restalled to maybe a 3200 and that should work perfectly with that cam.

Also i would do the comp or whatever type 918 springs along with the cam, with pushrods, valve seals, ported LS6 oil pump, and retainers. So this way you start with a pretty much new valve train and maybe later down the road you can get a nice set of quick lift rockers to make it a completely new valvetrain .

Hopefully this helps you out with your questions.

~peace~
B.J.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

overstalling? I thought I would be understalling it. I see a lot of guys running 4000 stall converters. Im not sure though.

What about the 114 lsa is that right for a nice smooth idle? Yeah springs and pushrods are included in the kit. Oil pump was a maybe, I didnt know if the money was worth it. What about the chain? Do I get the kit or just the chain? I think the pulley is a good idea, why the stock one is off.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

That stall will be fine with either cam.