Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PISTON SLAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PISTON SLAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an '02 SS with about 10,000 miles on it, and it has the worst piston slap I have ever heard, even worse than my '02 Z28. I have alot of friends with F-bodys, some slap, some don't. But mine is horrible, and even after it warms up, it stills dose it, maybe not as loud but it still slaps. I have done small mods to the car, and they all can easily come off, the only thing I can't fix is putting my screen back in my MAF, what are my chances of getting a new motor, and what do I need to do to increase my chances, and make sure they can't blame me for anything?....PLEASE HELP, it's going to the dealer ASAP, cause the 4L60E is trashed already too, so I figured why not kill 2 birds with one stone!
Sean
Old 10-23-2002, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: PISTON SLAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my SS isnt under warranty anymore, and it also has slap. But my Tahoe is under warranty, and has horrible slap, so i took it in.. they wont do anything for ya. They said it was normal and not going to hurt the motor in any way... That was my experience at least, all the luck to ya for gettin a new motor!
Old 10-23-2002, 10:06 AM
SJH
TECH Regular

Default Re: PISTON SLAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find this piston slap issue hard to believe.
I do believe you hear a noise but I doubt it is actually piston slap.
I run aftermarket forged pistons at .005 clearance.
They make a little noise when cold but nothing major.
You mention your trans is already shot?
Well I know a guy with a 01 that started making a racket and trans acted up badly.
It finally got real bad.
Turned out his flexplate was almost cracked in half and the stock converter ballooned.
He was spraying.

Fixed under warranty.